Computer not reading S7 when connected
InigioMontoya

My wife and I both have Samsung Galaxy S7s.  I am able to plug mine into the computer for file transfer and have no issues.  I then take my wife's phone and using the same cable in the same port the computer wont recognize the phone.  The connection appears to be good as it will start charging.

I have tried every suggestion I can find to get it to work.  I tried entering debugging mode and setting USB config to mtp and photo.  I have tried restarting multiple times.  I do not have the option to change the file transfer type from the drop down menu as it just isn't there.  I only see charging and after hitting that it only gives me details about the battery.  I have tried going into to device manager on the computer and looking for the device there and it doesn't show up anywhere.

All drivers are up to date.  I am using windows vista.

Please help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Computer not reading S7 when connected
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

If you go into settings -developer options and go down to usb configuration can you change it from there. It should work with the settings you have explained but for some reason the computer is not recognizing the phone. I too have vista and there are times that it will not recognize my phones either. Have you tried to shut the computer down and plug your phone in after it restarts.

0 Likes
InigioMontoya

I have tried going into debugging mode in developer options and setting it to MTP and photo and it will not work.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It can be challenging to get phones and computers to talk to each other, but what's most interesting here is that you have two identical devices, and only one will make the connection. We're here to help in every possible way. When you are attempting to make changes to the settings on your wife's phone, are you doing so while it's plugged into the computer? Another thought, would it be possible to do what you need to do using a Micro SD card and adapter (plan "B")?

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
bearone21
Legend

change the usb pull down at the top from charge only to media.

0 Likes
InigioMontoya

I have tried making said changes both while it is plugged into the computer and when it was disconnected.  I also tried restarting both devices after making changes and I'm still not having any luck. 

I tried connecting to another computer also.  The same thing happens, my phone is seen by the computer and my wife's is not.

I was able to get the data off her phone and onto mine using smart switch and hooking up to my computer that way but that isn't always an option.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

InigioMontoya, you've definitely done some great troubleshooting thus far. To ensure that it is not an app that is blocking the way the phone talks to the computer, lets have you get her device powered up in Safe Mode. The steps you need can be found here: http://spr.ly/65808vble What are your results for connecting to the PC when in Safe Mode?

La’SindaT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes