DCB_ASSOCIATION text and hacked account?!
lauren4004
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I just noticed that I have a message SENT from my phone, but with the number 6759. I have no idea why I got this. The message says "WrqQpYel5RMu8eGK49ednLw" (I took a screenshot)
In doing some research, I've learned that this can be sent from the Google Play store when you make a purchase?
But I've NEVER EVER purchased anything in an app.

Also, when I tried logging on to my Verizon account, it said that I was LOCKED OUT due to too many unsuccessful attempts at my password. But I DID NOT make a mistake typing in my password, nor did I make multiple attempts.

Is somebody messing with my account? I don't know why I got (or sent?) that text, or why I was locked out of my account and had to reset my password.

This is kind of freaking me out.

I have no idea where to post this... so that's why I'm posting in the Android forum. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6.

dcb association.jpg

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: DCB_ASSOCIATION text and hacked account?!
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Found this info on AndroidForums.com:

It's for Google Play "Direct Carrier Billing".

I'm assuming by "DCB_ASSOCIATION", it means it's associating your Google Play account with your cellular account, as in when you first set it up.

I've noticed multiple different shortcodes in my queries.

There are no publicly accessible details on how it works, but my assumption is:

• Open Google Play Store
  • Click "purchase" on an app
  • Select "Enable ${carrier_name} billing"
  • Accept terms and conditions, etc.
  • Google Play Store sends an SMS to your carrier, at a carrier specific shortcode (example: AT&T -- 11119999) with the text of "DCB_ASSOCIATION: ${authentication_hash}"
  • ${carrier_name} receives this SMS in their system, and authenticates the ${authentication_hash} to ensure that it is legitimate:

• The request actually originated from the Google Play Store, and not some other malicious program
    • The request originated from your Google account, and not someone else's
    • The request actually came from your phone number (you can change the MDN on your SIM card, and make your phone think it has a different number than it's actually assigned -- the network will still see SMS as originating from your true number)
  • Carrier billing becomes enabled in the Google Play store. Your ${carrier_name} account and Google Play account are now associated
  • Future purchases check the MDN of your SIM (or in the case of a CDMA carrier, whatever is programmed into NV)
  • Additional purchases are automatically allowed

But alas, I'm not 100% sure on all of this. I do know 100% for sure it is from the Google Play Store, and is sent at the time you enable "Direct Carrier Billing".

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lauren4004

I would be concerned too if I saw this on my phone. You can reset assured the text on your phone and your online account would be separate concerns. I would highly recommend choosing the “Forgot Password” option online and changing your VZW.com password to something new. Let us know if you continue to have issues logging in.

You are able to use your VZW account to make purchases from your phone in the Google Play Store. This requires an “association” to take place between the phone and Google. Generally, you never see this message appear and it handles in the background. Sometimes the phones messaging app interprets this incorrectly as a standard text message. Have you tried downloading any apps? Free or otherwise? Please let us know if you are seeing any other problems.

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
AddyAvoryMimi
Enthusiast - Level 1

DCB_ASSOCIATION:WQstVjLwEa98apQ6KkEc8r7v

I received the above text message and also  noticed a purchase on my account that I did not make. Any ideas of what this is and how to stop the charge?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Any notification of a purchase that was not initiated by yourself is of concern, AddyAvoryMimi. We can take a look over your account to see if there have been any charges applied as of the date you received this text message. With this text message it would be directly from the Google Play Store in association with Direct Carrier Billing. Please feel free to get into contact with us directly using one of the following methods: http://vz.to/1g1mHjf

ChrisM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Found this info on AndroidForums.com:

It's for Google Play "Direct Carrier Billing".

I'm assuming by "DCB_ASSOCIATION", it means it's associating your Google Play account with your cellular account, as in when you first set it up.

I've noticed multiple different shortcodes in my queries.

There are no publicly accessible details on how it works, but my assumption is:

• Open Google Play Store
  • Click "purchase" on an app
  • Select "Enable ${carrier_name} billing"
  • Accept terms and conditions, etc.
  • Google Play Store sends an SMS to your carrier, at a carrier specific shortcode (example: AT&T -- 11119999) with the text of "DCB_ASSOCIATION: ${authentication_hash}"
  • ${carrier_name} receives this SMS in their system, and authenticates the ${authentication_hash} to ensure that it is legitimate:

• The request actually originated from the Google Play Store, and not some other malicious program
    • The request originated from your Google account, and not someone else's
    • The request actually came from your phone number (you can change the MDN on your SIM card, and make your phone think it has a different number than it's actually assigned -- the network will still see SMS as originating from your true number)
  • Carrier billing becomes enabled in the Google Play store. Your ${carrier_name} account and Google Play account are now associated
  • Future purchases check the MDN of your SIM (or in the case of a CDMA carrier, whatever is programmed into NV)
  • Additional purchases are automatically allowed

But alas, I'm not 100% sure on all of this. I do know 100% for sure it is from the Google Play Store, and is sent at the time you enable "Direct Carrier Billing".

CAVolk

I just received the same text "From 6759" message states "DCB_ASSOCIATION:WMpb0KUc1M9UNKaO7luVSfVB".

What in the world is this and do I need to do anything???

0 Likes
CAVolk

Ok, disregard my previous post. I did go to the point store and download the Pandora app. I've uninstalled it.

0 Likes