DROID 3 - CAMERA ISSUES
statman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Droid 3 Camera issues I am running into:

-  -  First  - If I can start the camera without it causing the phone to crash.... (how do you disable the "Droid" sound on reboot - getting VERY annoying)

-  -  I have to use a task killer to keep the camera from burning up the battery after using it. - WHY???? 

-  - I bought my phone to keep in touch via skype with my son @ college - but now learn that the droid 3, with it's front facing camera DOES NOT WORK - (not on the Verizon-specific Skype - what a lame app), but using  the real Skype app... on a video chat, the Droid gives a black screen, not my image.  ???   From what I see online, same response from other video chat tools.   This was one of the biggest selling points for me!!!  Am more than mildly annoyed at this one.

Previous phone was a Droid 2 - with none of these problems....  appears that the Droid3 was released before testing and fixing issues.  

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: DROID 3 - CAMERA ISSUES
Wildman
Legend

statman wrote:

Droid 3 Camera issues I am running into:

-  -  First  - If I can start the camera without it causing the phone to crash.... (how do you disable the "Droid" sound on reboot - getting VERY annoying)

Try Settings / Applications / Manage Applications / All Tab / Camera / Clear Data to resolve camera issue....  To disable startup sound try disabling Settings / Sounds / SD Mount or something along this.

-  -  I have to use a task killer to keep the camera from burning up the battery after using it. - WHY???? 

I understand where you coming from but I would use System Panel instead of a task killer, a number of users helped me see the light of not using a task killer.

-  - I bought my phone to keep in touch via skype with my son @ college - but now learn that the droid 3, with it's front facing camera DOES NOT WORK - (not on the Verizon-specific Skype - what a lame app), but using  the real Skype app... on a video chat, the Droid gives a black screen, not my image.  ???   From what I see online, same response from other video chat tools.   This was one of the biggest selling points for me!!!  Am more than mildly annoyed at this one.

That strange because the Droid 3 is supported on Skype's site.

Previous phone was a Droid 2 - with none of these problems....  appears that the Droid3 was released before testing and fixing issues.  

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!!!

0 Likes
statman
Enthusiast - Level 2

Many Thanks Wildman....

I have cleared data in the camera application settings, will evaluate...

Unselecting the SD Mount sound does not impact the "Droid" announcement that occurs on reboot while you are getting the "DROID" splash screen (after the Motorola logo splash), and before the droid redeye splash...  I wish that setting were there... as it has no purpose, and is very annoying.

I'll look into System Panel - What message posting gave you the info abt Task Killer?

Yes, Skype does say that on their website... but there are MANY posts regarding this on the web... pretty lame.  I hear that there is an unofficial version of Skype that someone hacked to make the D3 recognize the 2 cameras and makes an "Advanced Settings" button available for management of camera settings.  I have not been able to get it to work yet.  But I should not have to spend this kind of time to get it working. 

I would be interested to know if anyone with a Droid 3 has video chat (Skype or any other software) working without having to wrangle with it.

0 Likes
yepThisIsMyName

I was told that the camera stuff is a known issue and Motorola/Verizon are working on getting a patch out for this in the next month or two.

0 Likes