DROID ERIS by HTC - Can't get to Main Screen; Trapped in a Loop!
rpmuriera

HELP!   This is the first time that my Droid Eris has gone berserk on me. I had powered it off to charge it, and when I turned it back on, it keeps on going on a loop of showing me the HTC welcome screen to the Verizon Wireless screen where it stays for about a minute or 2; then it starts all over again going back to the HTC screen.

I've pulled out the battery and let my Droid sit for several hours without the battery, replaced it, then powered it back up...AND IT STILL KEEPS ON DOING THE SAME THING.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you do to resolve it (outside of taking it to a Verizon Wireless dealer).

Thanks for your help!

~Ron

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: DROID ERIS by HTC - Can't get to Main Screen; Trapped in a Loop!
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I think you might have to complete a factory reset from the hboot menu. Unfortunately I can't remember how to get into the menu. A factory reset would mean losing all your settings, customizations, call log, messages and any contacts saved to the phone only.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
rpmuriera

Thanks for the response. I would do that, but unfortunately, I can't get to the hboot menu. Everytime I re-insert the battery and power up, it starts to go into the loop (HTC welcome screen...Verizon Wireless screen...HTC welcome screen...Verizon Wireless screen...i think you get the picture!)

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Found it. With the phone off you have to simultaneously press and hold the volume down and the send button then press the power button to get to the hboot menu. Then follow the instructions.

http://www.technipages.com/hard-reset-htc-droid-eris.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Good morning rpmuriera,

As I sure you have read by now from other community members, a factory reset is how to stop the device from looping. I would also like to share a link with you from our website on how to perform a hard reset. Please see below.

http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=28705

The device would need to be re-setup after the reset has been complete. Once you re-add your Gmail account to the device, you can restore your contacts to the device. Any media that you may have had will be saved on the memory card, unless you have selected to have the erased as well during the process. Also, a history of your downloaded apps is documented in the Market. Simply, launch the App Market then press the menu button and the My Apps option. Here, you can re-download the apps back to your phone. 

May I ask do you know what caused the looping on the phone? Oftentimes it a corrupt app that may have caused the issue. In such a case I recommend downloading one app at a time every 48 hours. This will help isolate which app caused the problem, it that's the case. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please reply to this message for further assistance.

Thank you...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@ArnettH_VZW
You wrote: "If you had backup assistant setup prior to the reset then you can use this app to restore your contacts to the device."

Backup Assistant is not and never has been available for the Droid Eris.

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

You are absolutely right Ann154. Let me adjust my original posting accordingly.

Thank you...

0 Likes
stonent
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you still haven't resolved this you need to obtain the RUU from Verizon. Basically it is a windows program that you install that has the software for the Eris in it.

When installed it will walk you though the process of getting the phone into recovery mode and plugging the phone in and it will send the software to the phone and it will be as if the phone was brand new, but with the latest 2.1 operating system on it.

Some companies like Sprint allow you to download HTC RUU's from the HTC site but the one for the Eris is conspicuously absent.

0 Likes