Data with Telcel (Mexico) no longer working on Verizon Galaxy S5.
alfonsojr1993
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi. I'm staying in Mexico for a while so I decided to buy a prepaid local sim (Telcel) for my Galaxy S5. Calling and text worked initially but data did not. However, I was able to mess with the APN settings to get it to work. And it worked beautifully.

All that changed, however, when a couple days ago, some OTA security policy update was pushed into my GS5. About 30 minutes afterwards (since I haven't checked my phone), my data stopped working. The 3G icon shows (although I usually get HSPA+), but it is greyed out, meaning that it is not connected to the data network.

I checked if the APN settings were correct and they were. My phone was set to GSM and then Global. No luck. I proceeded to back up my phone and reset it. Still couldn't get data to work.

Everyone else on Telcel have their data working. So I'm pretty sure it's not a network issue.

I assumed my phone was global ready. Call and text work wonderfully but why is my data no longer working? Was it the security policy update or was it something else I'm not aware of?

Many thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: Data with Telcel (Mexico) no longer working on Verizon Galaxy S5.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

alfonsojr1993,

We want to make sure your phone can work great for you while you are out of the country. I know that's incredibly important. The Galaxy S5 is fully unlocked and should work great on any compatible network. Some networks do require settings to be set up a certain way though. If it was working before it should be compatible. I would recommend reaching out to your carrier to check the settings and see if there is anything that would need to be adjusted.

AndrewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
staro
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am in Mexico now as of Sunday and my phone keeps say SIM CARD does not allow network connect to Telcel.. I am on wifi I guess all week now.. I tried movistar but I get what looks like not data but "R" ... roaming.. for the record I have a brand new S22Ultra 2022. I had to scan manually because auto scan wouldn't find anything. I think sim card is junk. On phone with Verizon for 2hrs when I got here still nothing but a "we will put in a ticket for someone to work on this"

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We wish you safe travels and know how important it is for your device to work while away, staro. There are many factors that can play into your device functioning properly while traveling. I'm glad to hear a ticket was created for you. We can complete additional troubleshooting if needed as well. Please ensure data roaming is turned on for the device, http://spr.ly/6601KQ25t. What international plan did you set up before traveling? Are you using a Verizon sim card in the device or an international sim card? -Danielle

0 Likes