Disabling update to lollipop. Z3v
Amc88

How can I shut off the update notification to update to lollipop? I have it off in the personalization menu but it keeps popping up. I don't want to go to lollipop. My wife's phone has had nothing but problems with it and I love the kitkat ui.  And from what I can see everyone else is having problems with it as well.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Disabling update to lollipop. Z3v
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't stop it. Eventually it will install itself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can't stop it. Eventually it will install itself.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Amc88

Was hoping I wouldn't have to root it but it's looking like the best way.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most people are complaining about where is an update and then they complain about how it messed up their device. I have personally haven't had major issues. If I did I was willing to factory reset the device. The updates are important as they also include security upgrade keeping the device and your information more secure. It is best to have the phone fully charged, plugged in and let the update install.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

These updates are mandatory for the continued support of a device. As such, they cannot be disabled. Be aware, by not patching your phone you are exposing yourself to some major security vulnerabilities, any of which were documented last year in the media. A notable vulnerability is Stagefright. Also note that you will be missing out on some of Verizon's network improvements, including the addition of LTE bands which are enabled by software updates, Voice over LTE Calling for improved audio quality, and also Wi-Fi calling.

If Lollipop provides any problem, make sure you back up your device before hand. If, after installation, things go wrong, factory reset the device, install the latest version of all of your apps, and then restore your backed up data. Myself and others have used Lollipop and Marshmallow with minimal issue.

Also, the UI is the exact same if you make it to. It just looks a *tad* more bubbly if you don't disable those effects.