Droid Eris / Android 2.1 update - Delayed until 2nd Quarter?
1boston

Hello Verizon,

I spoke with another customer today who said that after placing a phone call to HTC customer support, he was informed that the 2.1 update will not be available for the Eris until Q2 of 2010.  Is there anyone who else, VZW employee or forum user, that can confirm that the wait will continue into the second quarter?

Thanks,

vzwboston

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris / Android 2.1 update - Delayed until 2nd Quarter?
Gunslngr21
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think HTC has only ever committed to the first half of this year and based on what xda developers are doing/have done I don't imagine it will be too much longer but who knows what kinda QA big red will want to do before they start pushing it out.

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

While I personally am not participating, or recommending installing any leak versions (i'm still 1.5), I can tell you guys that a third version of the leaked 2.1 popped up two nights ago with a build date of 3/1/2010.

This build date is a week or so newer than the previous build and has little to no bugs in it. So today is the 25th which if the sequence holds true, there has probably been at least one more build if not two since. Now I am not saying the official OTA will happen this week, it is pretty safe to assume it is very near.

0 Likes
jab

... and the guys at my local Verizon store don't expect it to ever arrive on the Eris.

They figure it will appear on whatever phone replaces the Eris.

I was an Eris owner for 2 days.  I enjoyed the phone, but it could not run the one App that I absolutely require.  (ePocrates).

ePocrates does run on Android, but only on versions 1.6 and above.  I wasn't willing to root the phone.

Now I have a Moto-Droid, which I must admit I am loving.  It handles the photos, music, and browser better.  I don't like the weight or the slider, but i'll adjust.

I predict that anyone waiting for an Eris Droid update will remain indefinitely disappointed...........

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

jab wrote:

... and the guys at my local Verizon store don't expect it to ever arrive on the Eris.

They figure it will appear on whatever phone replaces the Eris.

I was an Eris owner for 2 days.  I enjoyed the phone, but it could not run the one App that I absolutely require.  (ePocrates).

Yeah except there have been three consecutive leaks (that we know of) and there are tons of people already running 2.1 for the Eris. It must be a rogue crew of software developers writing new builds of Android 2.1 in their spare time so they can overthrow "the man"....

C'mon Jab, if the chuckleheads at the VZW stores knew anything other than what is right in front of their faces we would have had 2.1 on the Eris on January 23rd which is what a "guy at my local Verizon store" told me on January 6th!

0 Likes
Dangerous_Dave
Contributor - Level 2

jayjay1122 wrote:

Yeah except there have been three consecutive leaks (that we know of) and there are tons of people already running 2.1 for the Eris. It must be a rogue crew of software developers writing new builds of Android 2.1 in their spare time so they can overthrow "the man"....

C'mon Jab, if the chuckleheads at the VZW stores knew anything other than what is right in front of their faces we would have had 2.1 on the Eris on January 23rd which is what a "guy at my local Verizon store" told me on January 6th!

Only two leaks that I've found. And while my wife has been enjoying the 2.1 I installed on her phone for weeks now, I've been (not so) patiently waiting for the OTA which really is starting to feel like it's never going to happen. My patience with VZW is running thin and I'm starting to consider installing the leaked 2.1 on my own Eris. So much potential just waiting to be unleashed. Six days left in the 1st quarter. I've been VZW's advocate all this time, but it sure is getting harder to keep the faith. Especially when Verizon continues to remain mum on the whole subject.
0 Likes
SCOTTY824

Yea I was down at my local dealer last week and they told me a upgrade to 2.1 is on its way soon, but they would not give any definitive date.  Thats why I bought the Eris instead of the Motorola when I bought it in Dec. because the sales person said updates are on the way. 

SO WHEN WILL IT COME OUT! 

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

Only two leaks that I've found. And while my wife has been enjoying the 2.1 I installed on her phone for weeks now, I've been (not so) patiently waiting for the OTA which really is starting to feel like it's never going to happen. My patience with VZW is running thin and I'm starting to consider installing the leaked 2.1 on my own Eris. So much potential just waiting to be unleashed. Six days left in the 1st quarter. I've been VZW's advocate all this time, but it sure is getting harder to keep the faith. Especially when Verizon continues to remain mum on the whole subject.

Hey Dave...Yeah technically there were three if you count the original leak, then the patch and then the new one Wednesday night/Yesterday morning...I hear what you are saying about patience and mine is wearing thin and I am about to just use the leak...

0 Likes
mashalpha

its all ready being pushed via verizon not HTC Verizonposts there updates with PCDphones.com not HTC and i know many who have 2.1 push but only 200k get it a day........... the first went out on 23 at after midnight they do them twice a night 1-2 and arround am one the Eris. If you check pcd site youll see they have newer apps than htc support........

0 Likes
jayjay1122
Enthusiast - Level 3

mashalpha wrote:

its all ready being pushed via verizon not HTC Verizonposts there updates with PCDphones.com not HTC and i know many who have 2.1 push but only 200k get it a day........... the first went out on 23 at after midnight they do them twice a night 1-2 and arround am one the Eris. If you check pcd site youll see they have newer apps than htc support........

This is not the 2.1 Firmware  update. this is the 1.17.605.1 Software update that went out OTA in January! Be careful about what you post as something like this will send people into a tizzy!

Also, the 2.1 schedule you reference is not for the Eris, but for the Moto Droid and that schedule was pushed back. Trust me, you would have seen fire and brimstone and dogs and cats living together on this forum had either event taken place at all!

0 Likes