Droid Eris Phone call Audio Issues since upgrade
christinar78

Is anyone else experiencing audio issues since the upgrade? I started having this issue from the day I got the update. The audio completely goes out on my phone regularly when receiving or placing calls.  It will dial them and I hear nothing and they hear nothing not even the phone ringing while calling them but it goes to them. Also I will get calls that they know I've picked up but can hear nothing and I hear nothing as well. 

At first I thought it was an issue on my end so I dealt with it for almost a week until I finally was fed up with having to reset my phone to make and receive phone calls.  On May 23 I walked into my local store and they did a hard reset on the phone.  He said to come back in if it started again.  It was no more than 24 hours before it started again.  However because I wanted it to be having this issue when I brought it back in I waited till I was at a point where the phone call was not important and I could go without restarting it to show them the exact issue.  My husband took my phone that was no more than 1 month old at this point and they pulled a brand new phone out of box for me on June 6th.  Less than 24 hours later on June 7th I was on the phone with Verizon with the exact same issue.  They had me do a hard reset and here we are today and I just got off the phone with them with audio issues once again.    The guy said there has been no reports other than mine about this issue.  Well this post alone is proof.  Apparently because there have been no reported issues (so not believing that at all) this issue will not be getting fixed most likely.   I am so frustrated because now they want to give me a certified used Eris as a replacement.  I'm about to say you can take my data plan and my phone off from my husbands account and I'll go else where even though it's not what I want :smileysad:

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris Phone call Audio Issues since upgrade
Standard_Racing

You're not the only one. Mine's been doing the same thing, and it's very frustrating! I don't want to go out and get another phone, but I've never had so many problems with any of my other phones.

0 Likes
MythicalWagyu

You are definitely not alone - my Eris has been plagued with problems since the update. I used to love this phone but I hate it now because even the most basic "phone" functions are broken - dialing a phone number takes 1-2 minutes because of the keypad lag, and when you hit call, it doesn't try and connect the call for another 2-5 minutes, and which point the audio is usually gone, requiring a *228 or reboot to fix. I've actually had the phone connect a call while I was already on another call, fully 5 minutes after I dialed the first number and nothing happened.

I've called Verizon numerous times (from a landline because my Eris does not work as a phone) and documented the problems with them. Twice they had me *228, which fixes the problem for ~30 minutes, and the last time they had me do a factory reset which wipes the phone - not fun to setup again, but it worked great, for about 3-4 days. I pretty much have to reboot the phone before making a call because 90% of the time the audio doesn't work on either end, most of my applications are force closing constantly (stuff like the ringtone chooser, the phone app, the contacts app, the calendar, weather, google maps, google navi).

Verizon is sending me a replacement (refurb) Eris and the rep actually told me that if it comes with 1.5 installed, I should skip the upgrade - what a load of crap! I only bought this phone because I was told from day one it would run Android 2.1 and I'm not about to give up my google navigation, half the app market and numerous other enhancements in 2.1 just because they did a poor job porting the upgrade to the Eris. I'm seriously disappointed with how Verizon is handling things, but I guess for now my only option is too accept the crap refurb, wait for it to stop working, and send it on back - everything about this screams that the phone isn't capable of running 2.1 but they already pushed out an official OTA update and I'll be damned if I'm downgrading my OS because of their screw up.

0 Likes
christinar78

I am so stinking glad to hear this not because we are all having the same issues but because now the tech guys can't say well I searched goggle even and no one else has had this issue or even reported it.  He then said "if it was on an official blog or forum for HTC, Google, or Verizon then we could count that as a report but I see nothing of the sort and it seems to just be you".  I have never been so disappointed either because I think they are acting as though it is not an issue so they won't have to give exceptions to people to upgrade out of this phone forcing them to lose money.  My husband has the moto driod and loves it.  I loved my prior to the update.... now I just hate it and would rather lose my data phone to have a phone that I can actually use what it's original use was made for to make phone calls.

I too have the lag problems so I should probably report those too but because of the issue of no audio I've been all over them with that issue for now.

0 Likes
MythicalWagyu

I begrudgingly registered for the forum just so I could reply - it's a relief to know I'm not the only going crazy over these issues, even though I'm sorry to hear your Eris is misbehaving as well! Google searching is what got me here in the first place, and this certainly isn't the only forum I found complaints of audio problems, keypad lag and random force-closes / app launching in my Google searching... I think I'll go register at the HTC forums and document my problems there as well!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
If you go over to androidforums.com and look under the Eris room, you will see that you are not even close to the only ones to have this problem, or be told that you are (I think that their c/s reps are only allowed to deal with one customer and then they leave the company), although one guy was told that supposedly HTC is working on a software fix and he should just pull his battery every morning to avoid it till then. I'm one of the lucky few who hasn't had this problem, *crosses fingers, knocks on wood and throws salt over his shoulder*, but hopefully for everybody's sake, it gets addressed, and soon. Until then, unfortunately, all you can do is keep exchanging phones and hope they learn something from this. I would also suggest emailing them each time, and if they say in an email (or several) that they've never heard of it, you'll at least have a paper trail.
0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Having the same audio issues.   Battery has to be pulled out and then placed back in and it'll work for a little while.  What happens in an emergency if you need the phone?  Not very reliable at all.   :smileysad:

0 Likes
yenracd
Enthusiast - Level 3

Also battery life is a lot worse with update and web pages will randomly go back two pages without doing anything.  There are also many other issues too.  You are not alone!

0 Likes
badbiddy

I was having the same issue, and after 2 replacements (both were on 2.1), my only solution was to go into a Verizon store and get a replacement Eris that was running 1.5 . So far, so good, but I can't update until the patch comes out that fixes the bug in 2.1 God only knows how long that'll take....................................

0 Likes
Lindab2522

You are not alone. 

I noticed right away that my phone calls were having issues.  I am dropping calls where I never used to with verizon.  I have spent 3 hours with tech service they have done the hard reset.  After that I noticed an increase in battery life but no difference with the phone issue.  I have also had some issues with calling someone where their phone doesnt ring and vice versa this happened three times with another Eris user.

I am now outside of my 30 day return window and have decided to keep my Eris even though I dont consider it a "Smartphone"

Good luck to us all.

0 Likes