Droid Eris - Sense UI Crashing Frequently + No Email Notifications w/o Refresh
henrytsay

My wife and I each have a Droid Eris; both phones have been upgraded to 2.1 and have both received the latest OTA update.

1. My wife's and my phones each have problems with the Sense UI crashing very frequently. At first it seemed like only the Dolphin Browser (the original on my wife's phone, Dolphin HD on mine) was causing this to happen, though lately it seems like the camera app is crashing Sense on my wife's phone and Twidroyd occasionally and the MLB At Bat App often are crashing it on mine. These are all apps we either frequently use or have paid for (in the case of the MLB app), and we aren't likely to stop using them unless we can definitely be sure they are causing the crashes.

Neither of us run task killer apps; the other day, I redid my "Scenes" to get rid of all widgets but two (the Clock/Weather widget and the HTC battery widget) to see if the widgets might be a cause of the crashes, only to have it crashed with the MLB app open. (Ok, so there's a definite correlation here... but is it caused by it?) Anyone else having these problems, and does anyone have any suggestions?

2. My Gmail app has stopped notifying me about incoming emails. It will flash a notification if I open the Gmail app and hit "Refresh"... The counter may even note there is new mail "Inbox (1)", but neither the new message nor the notification will show. This is a minor problem, though I don't understand why it's happening. It does seem like the option for setting the frequency of checking your email has disappeared from the menu in Gmail. This is only happening on my phone; my wife's phone does just fine. I could try enabling "Auto-sync", but this seems like it would take up too much battery. Is that the only way for Gmail to regularly (1) check and (2) notify you of incoming mail?

Thanks for reading and responding, those of you who do.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Eris - Sense UI Crashing Frequently + No Email Notifications w/o Refresh
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3
Some apps that use a lot of memory can cause sense to shut down. If the phone needs memory allocated to an app, it may shut down things that aren't currently in use. A while back, I had downloaded the spare parts app and set the app management to aggressive. When I would open any app, sense would have to reload.

As far as gmail goes, if you inadvertently killed gtalk (which I have also done) then your mail won't get pushed to you. I'm assuming the system could do this while running a high drain app as well. The only solution I know for this is a reboot.
0 Likes