Droid Eris. Skype issue
mannyr

Hi all!

I have a question about the Eris and Skype

Why is it when I try to call a skype contact on SKYPE I get the pop up dialog box asking if I want to use my regular # or my google voice #.

I thought that calling from skype to skype (cell to computer) is free.

Thx.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Eris. Skype issue
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Skype isn't VOIP on android.  It still goes out over the Verizon cellular network which is why it doesn't work using wifi either. Not sure exactly how Verizon keeps track of skype-to-skype calls but those should be free.    

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Skype isn't VOIP on android.  It still goes out over the Verizon cellular network which is why it doesn't work using wifi either. Not sure exactly how Verizon keeps track of skype-to-skype calls but those should be free.    

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

It still shouldn't be coming up with the GV or VZ option.  It does go over the VZ network but it should go as data.  Since it is SKYPE to SKYPE.  If you are calling their skype in number then it would switch to the phone. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It still apparently uses the voice network for quality reason.

http://blogs.skype.com/en/2010/03/skype_mobile_coming_soon.html

"

Skype mobile uses the Verizon Wireless voice network for the wireless connection of the Skype-to-Skype calls, giving you a reliable connection and top-notch call quality.

Skype-to-Skype calls will not be charged against your monthly minute allowance or data plan. To make calls to international landline or mobile numbers, you’ll need to buy Skype Credit."

0 Likes