Droid Mini - Frozen Black Screen (among other things)
jklove

First Problem:

I've had my Droid Mini since September and for the second time, the screen went black and the phone was non-responsive for a few hours. The green indicator light at the top continued to blink, so I know it wasn't dead. I plugged into the wall charger with no change.  I had my wife call it, and it didn't ring or even light up.  Shortly after the call, the screen came back on with no provocation.

Any ideas folks? 

Second Problem:

Often when using Chrome or the Mail function, when I click back over the the home screen, instead of seeing my typical wallpaper image, I see the screen that I was previous viewing (chrome browser window or list of my e-mails).  This is also the second time this has occurred since I got the phone. The last time required a completed wipe of the phone and I would prefer not to do that again.

Strategy or fix anyone?

The phone seems "buggy" and I'm getting annoyed.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid Mini - Frozen Black Screen (among other things)
jklove

Here is an example of the wallpaper issue:

screen shot.jpg

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jklove - Let's get your phone back to optimal performance! Did the screen go blank when using a certain app or process? Did you attempt an alternate restart by holding the Power key for longer than 10 seconds? In regards to the wallpaper concerns, are you using a 3rd party home screen launcher or just the native operating system?

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
jklove

No specific app when the screen went black. Tried holding power for at least 10 seconds a few times. Still only got a green light flashing and still black screen. Not sure what eventually made it unfreeze...it was really unprovoked making it more mysterious.

Regarding wall paper...not after market. I have just the plane wallpaper...it is still doing this by the way.

Thanks.

Jason

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for taking the time to troubleshoot, jklove! Can you confirm your current software version through Settings>About Phone. Have you restarted the device since you got it back on and have seen this strange wallpaper? Try going to Settings>Apps>Scroll to All> Search for a process that says Launcher and clear cache and/or data.

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
jklove

19.6.3.en.US is the software version. I just installed an update a week or so ago. Tried clearing cash and as soon as I closed the settings screen and moved in, the same thing happened again.

The phone has been reset several times in the past week. The last time I went through this whole process, it ended in a full reset of the phone, and that was not ideal. If that happens again, I've lost confidence in this phone and want something done. I'm not due for an upgrade for 15 months and I can't do that with no confidence in the device.

Thanks,

Jason

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jklove,

Sorry to read that the trouble is still persists. Try placing the device in Safe Mode: http://vz.to/1tXDMxF . Let us know if the problem still exists in Safe Mode.

BrianP_VZW
Follow Us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jklove

I put in safe mode and the wallpaper issue didn't happen. I restarted the phone and it hasn't happened since I restarted. WIll email back in a few days to see if it comes back.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

jklove,

I am ecstatic to hear that the device is functioning normally now. Make sure to keep us posted if the issue persists.

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

jklove

Hello.

The problem is back (previous app showing up in the background of my desktop screen instead of wallpaper).  In addition to that, my data usage has suddenly gone though the roof, though I'm not downloaded any new apps or increased consumption. Similarly, my battery life, has gone to the dumps.  I use to get 24+ hrs on a battery. Now I am luck to get 14.  More often than not, my battery is almost dead by the time I get home from work in the evening.  After only 6-7 months of use, that doesn't seem savvy.

If there is anything else you can do remotely, please let me know. Quite frankly I'm getting fed up with this phone. It seems to be one thing after another.

0 Likes