Droid Razr M (Xt907) - Wifi not responding even though connected
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello, I have in the past couple days been having an issue with my phone not connecting to our home WiFi network. Our router is a Belkin N+ Wireless Router. My Droid Razr M, xt907 (Android version 4.4.2.) is able to scan and search for our network, and says "Saved, secured with WPA/WPA2" when I press connect. Mobile Data has been DISABLED while I have been troubleshooting, and although my WiFi network says its "saved, secured with WPA/WPA2"" there is no chance of receiving any data. Attempting to search a webpage in chrome for example leads too it saying "You are Offline", or Instagram will not refresh any pictures, updates will not be able to update, etc.

This is a very recent issue, like I said within the last couple days. The last time my phone was updated was in September or prior (for 4.4.2), so I would be surprised if that was the problem although I have seen in prior postings that people have thought 4.4.2 was causing WiFi issues. My fathers phone (an xt907 on android version 4.4.2.) is not experiencing the same issue either. I have yet to find out if this occurs on other WiFi networks but considering my extremely high data usage on my plan suddenly, I'm guessing that this has been the case for a little longer than I've realized and is probably the case for other networks.

Things I have tried:

• Switching the frequency band in Advanced Wifi Settings to 5GHz and 2.4 GHz only
  • Turning Bluetooth on and off, pressing "search devices" whilst on
  • Deleting the saved home network, and then re-establishing the connection
  • Turning the phone on and off multiple times
  • Restarting the router
  • Turning Airplane mode ON and back OFF
  • Turning on Mobile Data ON and back OFF

Hopefully I will not have to resort to a Factory Reset, as I have some files that need to be transferred but are massive and I'd prefer not using Mobile Data to transfer them. Due to the nature of the app that the files have been stored with, Cogi, there is no way to directly upload the files via USB onto a pc sadly. Otherwise I'd probably do a reset but alas...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try next?

thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Droid Razr M (Xt907) - Wifi not responding even though connected
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying Nectarines15. I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done. Please power down the device (Razr) remove and reinsert the Sim card and poweron in Safe mode. This will determine if any apps are effecting this. Here's how: http://vz.to/1sx5O5T

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

bump

0 Likes
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE:

I was briefly able to connect my phone to WiFi a couple times this morning, at another network location and router. Currently it isn't working, but it appears that my problem is not exclusive to my home router and it does turn on still for only brief and rare moments.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying all those steps, nectarines15. Do you happen to also use your phone with any type of Bluetooth device (headset, Fitbit, etc)? Please also follow the steps at http://vz.to/1IQvzmi and confirm the  System Version and Baseband Version listed.

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Baseband Version: SM_BP_101031.042.32.86P

System Version: 182.46.15.XT907.Verizon.en.US

And no, I don't use any type of Bluetooth devices with it. I've made sure that Bluetooth is OFF as well.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying Nectarines15. I appreciate all the troubleshooting you've done. Please power down the device (Razr) remove and reinsert the Sim card and poweron in Safe mode. This will determine if any apps are effecting this. Here's how: http://vz.to/1sx5O5T

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for responding as well. I tried taking out the SIM and turning off and back on in Safe Mode, and it seems to be working right now at least. It's been working off and on for the last day or two, but most recently its been working fairly consistently. I did delete a WiFi/Password app called "WiFi + Password Manager" I believe, yesterday, before rebooting and perhaps that helped. I'll keep an eye on it though and if the problem persists again I'll report back.

thanks

nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Unfortunately, reporting back due to the issue arising once again. Just now I tried taking out the SIM card and rebooting in Safe Mode in case it might be an app causing the issue, yet the phone still will not connect to WiFi. After rebooting the phone doesn't consistently pick up the WiFi signal either (it usually will detect that there is a WiFi network, but won't attempt connecting after pressing "connect"). WiFi connection was working consistently throughout the day before now, and when it stopped working was after leaving WiFi range and coming back to the same network after an hour.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching back out to us, nectarines15. I'm sorry to hear that these issues are still ongoing with regards to your Droid's WiFi connection. One other thing I can recommend is to try and configure your home WiFi so that the unit itself broadcasts in either 2.4 GHz mode, or 5 GHz. This also includes switching the encryption types to only broadcast in B,G mode, or strictly N. I have had success with just switching this out and maintaining the WiFi connection via cellphones. Let us know if this helps.

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nectarines15
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the advice. I tried switching the wireless mode from 802.11b&802.11g&802.11n, to 802.11n only, and to 802.11b&802.11g. Each time I switched, I tried switching the Wi-Fi frequency band to 5GHz only and 2.4 GHz only, as well as Auto on my XT907. Also I have rebooted the phone in-between switching, just in-case.

Unfortunately no connection has been able to be established, although at one point it specifically said "connecting" after pressing "connect" which hasn't been the case usually. Nevertheless, it never did connect and no data was received when testing. When you mention switching the encryption types to only broadcast in B, Gmode, or strictly N, you are referring to what I just tried, correct? I googled 802.11n only, etc. and I believe that I followed your advice correctly but let me know if not!

If so, what else would you recommend I try?

0 Likes