Droid eris all sorts of jacked up
iitstorriffick

i have a droid eris and everything worked fine before hte update. then it started force closing messages almost every other time i had a text. i took it to the store and they did a factory reset on it and said that was all they could do. and everything worked fine for a while.

then a few weeks ago it started back up again. only worse. now instead of just messages, just about anything i open up ends up force closing. i cant send messages while it is plugged into the charger, and if i actually can it takes about 3 minutes to type 4 words because of the lagging. it automatically scrolls left, so when i type my messages come out backwards, or if im at the home screeen it scrolls all thwe way to the left screen and wont come back.

i havent added any applications since the factory reset they did, and i cant stand using my phone anymore. if i take it to verizon are they going to say the same thing, give me a refurbished eris that will prolly have the same problems or can i change to a different phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Droid eris all sorts of jacked up
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

Try another factory reset. If a warranty relacement is needed, you will get the same device.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

your situation is almost identical to mine.  had a few probs with my Eris after the 2.1 update, such as losing my speed dial option and etc; so VZW had me to do a factory reset.  got my speed dial back and other things seemed to be fixed.  after cpl weeks, the phone lost it. it started scrolling to the left.  it took SEVERAL mins to make a phone call b/c of the lag. then sometimes if i pressed one contact, it dialed a different contact. and don't connect it to the charger, the phone would go bizirk!!   scrolling all over the place, ending up to the far left screen and would not move from it.  could not make calls; could not send text. it was horrible.  took it to the VZW store, they were amazed at how the phone was acting when they connected the charger.  they said it was acting like a slot machine.  they didn't even try to figure out the issue, they immediately sent me a refurbished phone.  we didn't talk about exchanging for a different type phone but if this refurbished starts acting up, i hope they allow me to exchange it for a different model.  wish i had a did a factory reset on the new phone prior to activating it and personalizing it.  i forgot the new update lost the capability of setting speed dials.  i'm just going to go w/out it for now. don't want to go thru all the hassel of reinstalling apps and setting my screens back up.   basically, you will be getting a refurbish, not a new phone.

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2
Hi.  I am sorry you are having issues with your Droid Eris and I can certainly look into this for you.  I understand it can be frustrating just by reading the issues you are having.  I do see you have not added any applications since the reset.   It seems like we need to do troubleshooting on your device.  Like the previous post said, we may need to do a factory reset (Do not do so until you make sure all of your information is backed up).  If it does turn out to be an issue with the phone,  we will gladly replace it under your warranty with another device.   With a replacement, it will be a refurbished device but it would be tested to make sure you are not having the same issues.

Please let me know if you have any other questions  :smileywink:

Thanks!

0 Likes
zinggm

Hi Kimberly,

I'm having the same problems with my Droid Eris, ever since I upgraded to 2.1.

Some of the issues are:

Every menu step or text (keystroke) is about 2 seconds behind; slow/sludgy; impossible to redial someone within about 20 seconds; phone freezing; force closing; wrong contact calling; etc.

This all happened immediately after I updated to 2.1. My wife has the exact same phone and she chose NOT to update and her  phone is still completely fine.

I have NOT done a factory reset yet. Should I do that first? Or will you walk me through instructions to troubleshoot and/or reset?

Please advise. I'm to the point where I just want to buy a new phone sometimes because half the time my phone is useless. I would even downgrade to Android 2.0 if it would alleviate the problem.

Thanks.

0 Likes
mcook1670

I'm on my third Eris now, the first one worked fine for about a month then started scrolling to the left and locking up. I went in to the store and received a new device and about a week later did the same thing. The sent me a third device and sometimes it will ring, sometimes it won't. Every other phone call I have to reset the phone or the other person can't hear me. Every once in a while my phone will turn itself off, and then come back on. This phone is driving me nuts. I have done everything I can think of, I done two factory resets reformatted the SD  card, took all the apps off. So far nothing has worked.

0 Likes
acut21

This phone is unbelievable.  It is obvious Verizon messed up bad on this phone and wants to limit its losses, because they put it on discount only weeks after it came out, and now it isn't even on their online store.  They come out with the Incredible, and leave us all screwed over with these barely working pieces of.    

I can't describe how angry I am at Verizon. I went to the store where I bought it when I was still in my 30 day period, and the guy promised me that an update was coming out soon that would fix the bugs and soon it would be better. As we all know now, the update only made it all worse. I did a system restart with HTC a few months ago to fix some issues I had, and instead I lost my contacts. To this day they don't load properly. I went in last week to the same store and the woman was so dismissive of me, essentially saying "too {word filter avoidance}
bad, buy a new phone then".  AND she had the nerve to say that Verizon had received no complaints about this phone.  

My phone will freeze when it receives calls, and not let me answer. Texting is so slow and unreliable I text half as much as I used to.  This DEFEATS THE PURPOSE OF OWNING A PHONE.

I tried their phone service, and it told me I couldn't use my phone to call customer service, and to call back from another number. I only have one phone, genius.  I sent them a message last week online (it says 24 hour response), and I haven't heard anything from them. Nothing.

They don't want to help their customers, that is what I am hearing.  I don't care how much it costs me, if Verizon doesn't fix this I promise I am moving to AT&T for good. I am so insulted by their response to this.  

0 Likes