Duplicate SMS text
nhcstewart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Samsung S6  and SMS and Google voice typing had worked fine until a few days ago.  I then enabled Google Voice and since that point, if I use Google Voice Typing, all of my inputted text pops up again after sending the SMS.  Besides being a royal in in the butt, there are some things that are unusual about it:  1.  If I hit the microphone icon and stop the "listening" before sending the text, it will not repeat the text after sending, and 2. while Google makes an attempt to understand the words from context and make them right, the second message that appears is what Google heard, not what Google corrected.  ("I spent 350 at Home Depot and I bought no plants" becomes "I spent 350 at Home Depot anna but no plans")

I have tried to disable Google Voice, no luck, I have disconnect the Message+ app from Google connected apps, no change, I have tried both the Verizon Message+ app and Samsung Messaging apps, both with the same results, I uninstalled my SMS backup application, no success...  basically I have done everything I can think of to stop this behavior, but all to no avail.  The only thing I can link this problem to is the activation of Google Voice.

In poking through the forums I see that this duplication problem is something that goes back to 2009.  Surely there must be a solution by now, no?

So, anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop this behavior or, alternatively, how to uninstall Google Voice?

Thanks,

Charlie

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Duplicate SMS text
nhcstewart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did that procedure for Verizon messaging +, no difference.  There does not seem to be a process to do that for the voice typing- it may be contained in something else.  At any rate, it made no difference and I have tried multiple messaging apps- they all have the same issue.  It is about text entering, not messaging, since I have subsequently found that it will do that same thing on any app that uses the google voice typing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Zacharybob
Enthusiast - Level 1

I started having the same problem a couple of days ago, and looked in Google Play for recently installed updates that could possibly affect voice/text.  There was an update to the Google App a few days ago that coincided with the duplicate dictation/text problem.  I uninstalled the update and the duplicate text problem immediately went away.  However, the Google App is an Android system app, and will ultimately (and probably very quickly) reinstall itself. I can only hope that Google will repair this bug. 

MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

You could also clear cache, clear data and force stop the application, restart your phone and try downloading it again.

0 Likes
nhcstewart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had a few responses on the Google boards about the same thing happening to users on Samsung phones.  From their reports, they all seem to think it was related to an update and that my activation of Google Voice has nothing to do with it.  Either way, this is a problem that Google and Verizon have had reports of for at least 6 years and I think it is time it is addressed.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Back up any text messages you want to keep.

Did you try the method I mentioned on your messenger app?

0 Likes
Scooter1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same problem.. It started a couple weeks ago. Every time I use "voice" it doubles the text.. It will even start a second message after I have sent the message... Annoying as hell. People think that you are nuts..

0 Likes
Scooter1234
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have cleared cache, force stop, reinstall, but nothing works..

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Did you clear data?

Back up text you want to keep before hand. turn off wi-fi. check for update. Clear cache, clear data, force stop, restart. It's what I'd try.

Also if you think it's a certain app like google voice, i'd do the same thing to that app.

0 Likes
nhcstewart
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did that procedure for Verizon messaging +, no difference.  There does not seem to be a process to do that for the voice typing- it may be contained in something else.  At any rate, it made no difference and I have tried multiple messaging apps- they all have the same issue.  It is about text entering, not messaging, since I have subsequently found that it will do that same thing on any app that uses the google voice typing.

0 Likes