ERIS has mind of its own
S_Whitlock

I purchased my first Droid Eris a while back and after receiving the OS update to 2.1 the thing had a mind of its own.  I had the phone replaced a few weeks back because tech support told me it was an issue with the phone, not the service proved.  Exactly three weeks later the new one is doing the same thing. 

If I'm on the home screen, it automatically moves to the far left screen and will not allow me to go back to the home screen.  I try to type and email or chat and it types backwards.  When opening a website, it jumps around highlighting options on the page and at times it will mot allow me to even scroll on the page.  I love my Droid phone and just want one that works. 

Anyone else having any issues with their Eris or is mine just possessed?

And of course.... Not eligible to upgrade to another phone and Verizon is not wanting to give me any breaks to actually get a phone that works the way it should.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: ERIS has mind of its own
bigepac

Did you ever find a cure? I have an Eris that has started doing the same thing, not all the time, but getting more frequent and very aggravating. Any info would be appreciated.

0 Likes
ksnhenders
I've had the same problems, and more. I started service may 29, 2010, a week before the Eris was discontinued. My 1st phone lost factory preset stuff, like ringtones, and was replaced by Verizon with a refurbished phone (it was past the 30 days). My second one was "posessed" like yours, and also wouldn't charge sometimes when plugged in. The issue seemed to be the trackball - the design of the phone, and the charger port, meant that the trackball was "loose", randomly selecting things, and scrolling to the left, getting stuck. So I ordered phone #3, and activated it. Phone #3 had a blown speaker, and would not ring for incoming calls when in standby mode (power on, but screen off). So now I'm on phone #4. The larger issues have not presented themselves yet, although I'm suspicious they will (i have to press keys twice to execute commands/make selections, which occurred with phone #2 before it truly flipped out). I have 21 months to go on my contract, and Verizon is unwilling to allow me to upgrade, and pay the difference in phone price. They did tell me that I could upgrade in 1 year for a $20. Fee. My other choices are to pay retail for another phone (about $500 for a comparable device), or to keep getting refurbished Eris's whenever I experience a problem. Although I understand that this is a problem with the HTC Eris device itself, and not Verizon's carrier service, I would think that Verizon, who sold me the product, would be willing to help me resolve this issue so I could have a fully functional phone without all these bugs.
0 Likes
Dissappointed10

I HATE THE ERIS!!!   I feel like an idiot for putting up with Verizon so long.  For $289 they would send me another model... but for only $310 I can cancel and go to another carrier.  

Totally **bleep**.  I'm shopping other carriers immediately.

0 Likes
ToddG

That is just what mine started doing a couple weeks ago.             I took it in this past Sunday and I should have a replacement here today via FED EX.

The guy who helped me said he was hearing about this issue with the ERIS.      

Hopefully the new one won't have the same issue.                    

0 Likes
S_Whitlock

Yeah... after my replacement did the same thing I told Verizon that a lot of people were having the same issue and that they need to keep up to date of the complaints that were being made on their community boards.  She offered another replacement and I told her that they would have to provide something comperable to, but NOT an ERIS.  She was able to replace it with the Incredible since this was the second phone I had that was doing the same thing.  Have had NO issues with my Incredible.

0 Likes