Re: Eris 2.0/2.1 update apparently not happening
Butthead
Contributor - Level 2

The 2.1 update is delayed. Software development cycles do shift and shipping dates are missed.

For those complaining to the FTC, etc, its a no-win situation. You demand results now, but if you were sent a buggy software update, you'd be complaining about that  too to the FTC. Personally, I do not think they are going to do anything about it because product development cycles are not implemented with your instant gratification in mind.

0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3
Instead of the FCC route, just do what I did and go directly to Verizon. You won't get 2.1 on the Eris any faster, but they will allow you to get a different phone.
0 Likes
Dragons4Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

Adroidatic

0 Likes
wmorones

I also would like to know my eris is very laggy and sometimes i cant take it ne more and just leave it at home when i go out. So what did u say to get a new phone. I also had a iphone and loved it but didnt love the service. please let us know

0 Likes
Androidatic
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had the Eris since November. When I purchased it, I was told by the sales person that it would be getting the 2.0 update in February. It was on that basis that I purchased the phone. Since there is still no release date for 2.0/2.1,I complained to them.

I started at the store and then to customer service with complaints about the misleading sales tactics used by the sales person regarding 2.0. I knew that I wouldn't get anywhere, but you have to show a track record of trying to resolve the issue before going to Verizon's Executive Relations Department. If you try to go straight to them, they will kick you back to customer service. I sent a very nice e-mail explaining my situation, but the tone of the e-mail did portray that I was mad.

I received a phone call a few hours after sending the e-mail and explained that I was sold a phone under false pretenses, it didn't have what I was promised (2.0, Google Navigation, access to all apps (since some only run on 2.0+), etc.  I asked that she permit me to return the Eris and pay the difference for the Incredible (which I knew I wouldn't get, but the negotiations had to begin somewhere), but that was immediately rejected. She call me back the next day and offered to change the renewal date of my contract so that I could purchase the Incredible (remember that I just renewed in November '09) for $199 on Verizon's web wite.  I also get to keep the Eris, which I will sell on eBay once I am satisfied with the Incredible.

If you back a page or two, you will see why they had to offer me something in order to close out the complaint file.  If you do this, be very nice and do not issue any threats to file with the FCC, leave Verizon, etc.  This will get you no where.  Just be persistant with your demand and let them know that you are upset with the way the sale went down.  They really do want to keep their customers happy, you just have to keep pushing them gently.  Another thing, don't let them tell you they "can't help you".  They can do anything they want to do.  They changed my renewal date with the click of a mouse, it was that easy for them.

0 Likes
dcrocket63

Thanks!

0 Likes
agamsnow

My kind of went the same way as Andro. I actually sent them a friendly email inquiring what my early termination fee was to leave my current contract. They called me asking why, and I told them that unfortunately I was not happy with the fact that the Eris was not getting an update and that I was not receiving any projected date. I was friendly about it and not threatening in any way.

She said unfortunately she had nothing for me in the way of Eris update, but she asked what she could do to help me stay a customer of Verizon. I told her that I was offered the Incredible at the $199 price, but my main phone was up for phone renewal anyway, so that was not much help to me. I said if I could get a discounted price on top of what I could get it at anyway, I would be more than happy to stay with them on the Incredible. She asked if a $50 one time price break would keep me around. I said sure, so she said to buy the phone and activate it. Once that was done, respond to the email she would be sending me, and they would add the $50 credit. I responded to the email after receiving and activating the phone and got a response that the credit had been added to my account. I have confirmed that the extra $50 has been added to my account.

So they will help you if you ask. It may not be the perfect solution, but it satisified me. I was not looking to get something for nothing, so getting an added $50 off of the phone I thought was reasonable.

0 Likes
Tatfreak

Ok everyone! Get ready for the update. Appearantly Verizon has the update pdf up and says comming soon on the Software Update page http://support.vzw.com/information/droid_eris_upgrade.html

Check out the pdf on benifits of updating. The info on it tells me its 2.1 comming and I think it will be here very soon now that it is actually on their web site. Yay finally in the final stages!

0 Likes
hoovnick

My wife had the Moto Droid. When Verizon finally posted the update PDF for her phone to get the 2.1 update, I recall it only being a week or so before it was actually updated. Could have been less than that seeing how I've been mainly concerned about my update.

0 Likes
Dragons4Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hurrah!! this is good news indeed! :smileyvery-happy:   Thank you also for posting how you got your new phone!

0 Likes