Eris..what is the diff btween?
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

i have yet to figure this out.  on the Eris, you have a 'mail' icon & a 'gmail' icon.  what is the difference?  they seem to sync my emails to each icon but the 'gmail' is easier to use.  so, what really is the difference?

also, what is exchange activesync?  saw that on the Eris somewhere.  is this something worth using?

thanks for any help

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Eris..what is the diff btween?
anchor328

Mail icon is for all your e-mail accounts including gmail. It has it's look and features associated with it. The Gmail icon mail program is only for Gmail. It looks different and has a few different features to it. Other then that nothing's different.

0 Likes
anchor328

The exchange one is for servers like your business might have. It's supports microsoft's pop servers and allows you to sync info to and from that server. In other words it's much the same as you have with your gmail account.

0 Likes
kenyu73
Contributor - Level 3

Both have slightly different abilities, I believe you can do multiple uploads with the Mail application, but the Mail app can't do embedded media where as the Gmail app can...

So, I'd keep both apps setup, but disable the notification for one of them or you'll get double notifies.

0 Likes
LetsgoFishing
Contributor - Level 1

i've never understood all the stuff about popservers & etc.  so, let me make sure i'm understanding what you all are saying & btw, appreciate the responses.  with the 'mail' icon, i can for ex, have my yahoo sync to this particular app or icon? i'm on the 'mail' icon, i hit menu, hit more, and a list comes up. if i hit new account, is this where i put the info to have my yahoo tied to this? there is also a choice of 'microsoft exchange activSync' & 'other (pop3/imap)'.  would i choose the 'other' option for yahoo? seem like i read somewhere that it's hard for yahoo to sync w/ this phone but i don't remember the reason. has anyone heard that about yahoo?  thx.

0 Likes
gemro311

POP server is for incoming mail. SMTP server is for outgoing mail. You would need to specifically inquire from your ISP on the settings. As I have road runner  in NC . .the settings are pop-server.nc.rr.com, and smtp-server.nc.rr.com. Be aware that when you travel with your laptop or droid , you will not be able to send mail  as you would not be hooked up to your ISP. This is where GMail becomes very handy . There is a setting within GMail where you can receive and send  your email frrom your ISP.  I do not know if you can tie your Yahoo mail to GMail . I do not use the mail icon on the Eris, actually I do not use the Gamail icon either, I set up a  google mail shortcut  and use the Dolphin Browser on my homepage to get all my email.  This way I do not have to sync at all. . If you  have any questions , feel free to ask away.:smileywink:

0 Likes