Error 97: SMS origination denied
KRIKLI68

My wife receives "Error 97: SMS origination denied" whenever she tries to text me.  I don't receive them. It started a few weeks back. She can call me fine. I can send texts to her, and she can text other people fine. According to the My Verison page, neither of us have any call/text blocking turned on.  If I'm on a group chat with her and other people (MMS), I receive her messages, but not SMS.

We've both restarted our phones.  Based on a forum post, I removed the SIM and powered down, then inserted it and started it.  No effect.  The messages also do not appear on my text messages list in the online msg viewer, so I don't believe it is a messaging app problem.  She has a LG K 20 V and I have a Moto G2, both Verizon and both fully updated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Error 97: SMS origination denied
samej71
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was experiencing the same, or nearly identical, issue. When I tried to send my wife a SMS to her Verizon number from my Verizon number, I got the 97 origin error. I could send SMS and MMS messages to everybody else regardless of carrier without an issue. I've rebooted my phone and it didn't resolve the issue. I could still text her via my Google Voice number using the Google Voice app, so I didn't think it is an issue with her phone receiving texts. She could receive SMS messages from everybody else and didn't get any errors. The errors were only on my phone and only when she was the recipient from my native Verizon number.

I was using the (Google) Android Messages app, but when I switched to Verizon Messages I was able to send a test message to her successfully. I then went to Settings -> Apps -> Android Messages and cleared/wiped the app data. Once I restarted the Android Messages app and switched SMS back to it, I was able to send her SMS messages again.

Maybe wiping your SMS app data might clear out your issue, too.

View solution in original post

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I depend on my messaging service to work right to stay in touch with my wife as well. Let's get this figured out. What messaging app is she using on her device? When did this problem start? Any changes made to her phone recently (software updates new apps)?

Alberto_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
samej71
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was experiencing the same, or nearly identical, issue. When I tried to send my wife a SMS to her Verizon number from my Verizon number, I got the 97 origin error. I could send SMS and MMS messages to everybody else regardless of carrier without an issue. I've rebooted my phone and it didn't resolve the issue. I could still text her via my Google Voice number using the Google Voice app, so I didn't think it is an issue with her phone receiving texts. She could receive SMS messages from everybody else and didn't get any errors. The errors were only on my phone and only when she was the recipient from my native Verizon number.

I was using the (Google) Android Messages app, but when I switched to Verizon Messages I was able to send a test message to her successfully. I then went to Settings -> Apps -> Android Messages and cleared/wiped the app data. Once I restarted the Android Messages app and switched SMS back to it, I was able to send her SMS messages again.

Maybe wiping your SMS app data might clear out your issue, too.

KRIKLI68

Hi!  Based on your post, I fixed it!  I was using the standard android messages app, so I switched to the Verizon Messages app (made it default), sent a message, which worked! Then when I switched back to android messages and made it default, it worked there too!

I didn't need to clear any data.  Switching and sending worked.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Kst7571
Enthusiast - Level 1

Clearing the data worked.

0 Likes
Jlsbeth
Enthusiast - Level 1

I haven't been able to text my brother in what feels like forever! It had never given me an error until today, and thanks to your fix I can now text him. Thank you! 

0 Likes
Shelia24

If I clear or wipe out the data will that remove all messages I had that I can't lose yet. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We know how important the information stored on your messages is, Sheila24. We don't want you to worry, as deleting the app data will not delete any of your personal messages. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
jmac1013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm using a pixel 3 and the Google messages app. I am getting the error 97 when I try to text certain contacts. 

I went to settings>appdata>messages, but couldn't find where to clear the cache. 

0 Likes
jmac1013
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found it.  For pixel owners go to: settings>storage>other apps>messages

Clear the storage and cache.  

This fixed the error 97 that was getting.