FINALLY GOT MY HTC ONE!
radelster
Enthusiast - Level 2

After being with Alltel for 7 years, then absorbed by Verizon these past 4 years...and waiting for the HTC One for the past 4 months, I FINALLY was able to obtain one.... matching my UNLIMITED data plan I have with Verizon.

No, I didn't get an unlocked or leaked one, what I did do is research my current plan against AT&T (spoke with three different reps, they were over $80/month higher than what I currently pay, and I would be getting LIMITED data usage), Sprint kept telling me how 'perfect' their coverage was... for talk, text, and 3G... but no 4G in sight.    T-Mobile has the unlimited 4G data, and talk & text.  You can either pay the costs of the phone up front (with no contract), or you can pay the costs monthly (still no contract, but if you leave before you finish paying, you still have to pay).

Went to the nearest Walmart selling T-Mobile(about a 30 minute drive).   Picked one up for $168 out the door ON a 2 year contract, unlimited talk, text & data cost me $90/month plus tax.   But this was just a 'trial' phone I intend to return within my 14 day period so I could examine the coverage in my area.

Right away, ran a speedtest comparing it to my VZW Razr Maxx.   No contest. 

HTC1 - 4mbps

Maxx - 17mbps

Ran several of these in the area I purchased the phone, as well as my local area.   Speed for Verizon is LTE, but for T-Mobile it is HSPA, still 4G, but not LTE yet. 

The phone itself is sweet (as you know).  my 15 year old saw it and said - I want one of those!!!

Size-wise, it is about a quarter inch longer than my Maxx.

Sound from speakers is good.  NO SD CARD!    I don't want any of VZW 3 new MOTO phones because of the no SD card, but was not aware the HTC1 did not have one.  It does come with 32GB of internal storage, so will definitely take some getting used to.

Phone also comes set up with Wifi calling.    Have not read much on this, but I would assume if you travel internationally, you could connect to Wifi, and make your calls without roaming charges.

Will do more traveling this weekend, to test coverage spots around my area.  Would like to get to an LTE market, but the nearest one is a 2 hour drive... I might have to do it.

I told the AT&T people look.... if you want a mass influx of new customers, over a BRING US YOUR CURRENT VERIZON PLAN AND BUY AN HTC1 and we'll match your plan!   Heck, I would switch.   WHY NOT?   Verizon is doing nothing to keep me here (other than more lies....2 from their tech support in the past 2 weeks...1. they will have a network engineer test my neighborhood AND come by my house to talk with me... never happened and I called to ask about it they have NO IDEA the status), 2.  They offered to upgrade me to a droid XNA or a Razr Maxx HD and told me he would email me the details and I could reply back if I wanted to proceed (that was 7/26 and I have yet to receive an email from them).

If Verizon truly 'hear me now', they would listen to the thousands (tens of thousands) of customers who want something better...... and they would do something about it!

>>Edited to comply with <<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: FINALLY GOT MY HTC ONE!
Klue
Master - Level 1

The One is a great looking phone with excellecnt build qualities and features,  however the deal breaker for me was no removable battery.  I tend to hang on my phone for 3-4 years and the One will not handle that many recharges before dying. Also with removable batteries I'm not tied to a wall or car outlet while the phone is charging, just slap in a charged battery.  If this phone had a removable battery I would definatly get it.

0 Likes
radelster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Having the Razr Maxx for almost 2 years has got me used to no removable battery.

0 Likes
FINALLY GOT MY HTC ONE!
radelster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Day 2 of testing.  From Northwest Arkansas to Tulsa to check out LTE speed.   Tried Foxfi hotspot enroute, which activates the phone's Hotspot, using T-Mobile limited data plan.   Could not get that to work either without a 50 minute phone call to their support, resulting in a factory reset on a less than 24 hour phone.

Finally got it working sporadically between the 4G & 2G (yes TWO) coverage.    No 3G coverage between NWA & Siloam Springs, AR... only 2G with speeds at 1mbps.  Canceled trip the rest of the way due to these issues.   Checking Pineville, MO tomorrow...based on results thus far.... stuck with Verizon and their mediocre phones.... that held a 4G signal all the way there and back.

0 Likes
Not applicable

First off the HTC One (LTE) at T-Mobile is $657 of which you pay the tax on the phone up front and the $10 sim kit. Which will leave you owing $480 over 24 months at $20

The plan is $50 for unlimited talk, text, anytime, mobile minutes. You pay $20 for unlimited data for a total of $70 where the $90 came from you got me.

Please note T-Mobile has only just started rolling out 4G in certain places. My city is one of them, it is pretty fast.

With that unlimited data comes 500mb of teathering per month. There are no contracts of any kind since you will be paying for your device at full cost. If your paying $90 its because you have a contract for service under Walmart under their reseller agreement with the carriers not a good move on your part. You are paying more and getting less and putting yourself in a contract when T-Mobile did away with contracts.

The wifi calling works great, you have to select cellular calling or wifi calling depending on your circumstances .

Next time go to the T-Mobile store and not Walmart. then again you state you are returning thed device under buyers remorse. but you are still out of money fir every day you used the service, so it was not a really good test.

Oh the HTC One has an update from T-Mobile or via the HTC website.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable

Having a permanent battery you can have a service center replace it. I think the motorola site says $48 still not a bad deal.

My iphone can have the battery replaced at an Apple Store, and my wifes razr can be done at a service center.

One of the android sites also shows how to open the phone and safely remove and replace it yourself.

However the sd card issue well is another issue all together.

0 Likes
freddyttt
Enthusiast - Level 3

the 20.00 comes from the monthly cost of the phone- *90.00

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you, I totally forgot to add that on as a total. I know I mentioned the $20 in my reply

0 Likes
FINALLY GOT MY HTC ONE!
radelster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Returned unit today after testing their coverage in our area.  Mostly 4G (not LTE), which is adequate, however many areas outside of my town, are 2G (which I believe is the equivalent of Verizon's 1X).    The phone itself was great.  Battery lasted much longer than expected.   So for now, will be keeping my UNLIMITED data plan with Verizon (and using the crap out of it), until they come out with some better phones for us to use.

0 Likes
FINALLY GOT MY HTC ONE!
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Bwahahahhahah

0 Likes