Re: Faint background ringing HTC DNA
Rattleshirt

Ok, I haven't had the problem in about three weeks and I was hoping it was done with.  Apparently not.  It happened twice this morning, about two hours apart.  Each time the phone had a temperature above 35 degrees C.  After the second time, I put the phone into safe mode to see if that would help, as was suggested by a Verizon tech.  And about ten minutes ago it started ringing again.

Verizon and HTC really need to figure this out.

0 Likes
jdlong87

When I first bought my DNA brand new it started ringing for no reason, just as everybody on here says theirs has.  A Verizon rep did a factory reset and I thought it was fixed after that.  No more than a week later, it does the same thing.  It seemingly does it when it's in my pocket and there is low signal strength and it's always hot when I pull it out of my pocket.  So, I exchanged that phone for a "Like New" DNA and I thought everything was going to be great after that.  Well, a few days ago my replacement phone does the same thing.  I called Verizon and he says that it isn't a know issue (although I think this forum proves otherwise) and he is "100% sure that it is an app that is causing it."  I told him that I don't have that many apps on my phone and especially none that would cause any like that.  He said I could exchange it for a refurbished Samsung Galaxy SIII (w/o battery & back cover) or for a Motorola Razr (original)....I don't see that as a fair tradeoff.  Anyway, I told him I would keep my DNA and see if it happens again, which I'm sure that it will.  It's just a matter of time before it does. I would just like to know what triggers it and to have it fixed because I really do love this phone, when it's actually working properly.

0 Likes
SJMC

Mine started ringing like that for the first time yesterday -- while I was walking into a movie theater, of all places. I turned it off and it kept ringing. It was soft, but loud enough to hear in a closed purse, shoved under the seat. Fortunately, no one was sitting right next to us.

Did the same thing today while I was sitting in church.

Resetting the phone shuts it off for a while, but it isn't a permanent fix.

Didn't have this problem until after the most recent software upgrade, if that means anything.

0 Likes
tpeek

My droid is brand new and it does this same thing.  It used to go away with a reset, but that does not work any more.  It is actually doing it right now and the phone is turned off.  The battery is fully charged.  Since the battery can't be taken out to totally reset the phone, there is nothing that I can do.  Extremely annoying.  Sounds like no one can figure out what the problem is, but seems like lots of people are experiencing the same issue.

0 Likes
Izeek
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was really hopeful that the software update that came out mid April  was going to fix this ringing glitch, and thought it did, until last  night when the ringing woke me up once again. On the bright side, it did go a month without glitching after the update, but getting my  sleep interrupted is getting really old. There is a reason I put my  phone in silent mode when I go to sleep. Any new info to make me think there will be an end to this issue?

0 Likes
Arkhalis

So this has happened 4 times in the last 3 days. Today being the worst: It has been making the faint background ringing for 45 minutes straight. Nothing seems to make it stop. I can't even have my phone in the office due to this which is unacceptable.

This has been going on since my first week of purchasing the phone. Is there any way to exchange it for a different phone? I can't keep this phone unless this is fixed

0 Likes
Arkhalis

I've gone through this same process twice now. The techs at the store never seem to believe me: "It must be something you installed, since it stops after a factory reset."

0 Likes
finhme01

I am having the same issue, its very frustrating being that its a brand new phone!

0 Likes
melrbu

I've had my DNA since November and it would randomly do this. In the past I was able to turn it off then back on and it would stop. Today it did this for over 6 hours straight. It continued to ring even when turned off. I just got off the phone with tech support and the had me turn the fast boot off and restart the phone. So far no more ringing.

0 Likes
turbohonky

Same issue. Twice now. It's just faint enough that I thought my office neighbor wasn't answering her phone. Which I found annoying, but not as annoying as the fact that the person calling wasn't giving up and the phone wasn't going to voice mail. Nope! Twas me.

I forget how I fixed it the first time, but this time I tried cycling the power on the phone and (as somebody else pointed out), the ringing persisted throughout the process, even when the phone was off. Thankfully, somebody else pointed out that it stops when you make a call. Which I did, and that worked.

0 Likes