Fm radio chip
Hmmmhutington
Enthusiast - Level 1

Plz turn on my fm radio chip in my phone stone places where I work can't get 3g net work cause I'm roaming if my fm chip was enabled I could use next radio n listen to music off of your product still n wouldn't need a separate radio to do this

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Fm radio chip
Tidbits
Legend

It doesn't work that way...

The manufacturer has to pay licensing to make it work, and code it to work. They pass the cost to carriers which they do not buy in in most cases especially for Verizon where they are regulated to spend more money of spectrum licensing due to block C. The FCC has to approve the device for it as well for that.

If you want this stuff on all devices it has to be done this way and the FCC and politicians are idiots for trying  to convince you any other way. First get manufacturers to make it a standard feature. This by regulations and supreme Court carriers can't remove the feature(See Verizon and Bluetooth), and make it where the licensing is free of charge by all regulatory bodies for FM radio from Qualcomm to the FCC. Then there would be no reason why a device doesn't have it.

Food for thought. The iPhone and the Nexus devices don't have FM and are not controlled by carriers. Just examples as to it's not the carriers as people and the media make it out to be.

0 Likes
tarchi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I keep seeing this same post stating it is the FCC......

If that were true, then why does every other phone service provider offer fm?  I have looked up several phones like htc one m9, and galaxy s6 that have the fm radios disabled by Verizon. The same phones have fm radios when purchased by other less expensive providers? What is the problem?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

reread what I typed earlier.  Look up the FCC filings for your phone.

Look at the Nexus, iPhone, and a slew of unlocked devices that don't have FM radios.  Why if those are cheap or free to have why doesn't all devices have it in the first place?

Are you willing to pay for it?  No.  Simple fact Verizon has to spend more on spectrum licensing than other carriers which in turn could raise the price of devices.  Verizon tried once leaving everything alone and the device cost was $50 higher than any other carrier.  People complained about it even though the Verizon version supported 15 more spectrum and could work on ANY carrier in the US while the other devices could work on 1-2 carriers on 3G/4G/LTE.  Just food for thought.  Why should Verizon buy in when manufacturers can make it a standard feature...