Free phone with upgrade?!? Not sure I understand terms
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased an LG V50 ThinQ from Verizon and at that time I was put on the Do More Unlimited plan. The phone is doing just fine but it has never given me 5G service as promised and I have tried over and over with Verizon to resolve the issue but it just appears the phone is not really as good as it was expected to be.

Now I am interested in getting a new phone that will give me 5G and was interested in the free ones on the current promotion that give a credit of up to $999. However the promotion says I need to upgrade my service but I really don't need to and don't want to pay more then I am now. My current DMU plan costs the same as the current one offered so I'm not sure how I may receive the new phone without quitting Verizon for T-Mobile or ATT and then maybe coming back.

Anyone with an existing plan go through this and use the promo for a new phone?

0 Likes
Re: Free phone with upgrade?!? Not sure I understand terms
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Nearly20yearswithvzw ,

Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing such helpful details. Let's make sure you have the right info for what you need going forward, as it looks like there's some misinformation. The LG V50 is one of the first 5G-capable phones made for our network, and it was created before we introduced 5G Nationwide, which is shown here and continues to reach more cities: https://www.verizon.com/coverage-map/ . This means that the LG V50 will only have 5G access in areas we have created 5G Ultra Wideband coverage for. It will only connect to our established 4G LTE network otherwise, so there is nothing wrong with your device or the network in your area. As you have said you used our services for years, I'm sure you recall when 4G was first introduced, and those phones had 3G access along with 4G, while older phones only had 3G access, if that helps to make a comparison. All phones currently available through us would have full access to 5G where it is available.

As for your concerns about promotions that we offer, I'm sure you also recall that we have had hundreds of promotions throughout each year that would have their own requirements. Sometimes you need to get a new line of service, or trade in a qualifying device, or change your phone's data plan to a current one if you're on an older version. If you'd like to know more about how various promotions work, please check out this link: https://www.verizon.com/support/device-deals-faqs/ . The best way to see what you would qualify for with a promotion would be to view the device on our website, and look at the "Upgrade" tab on the same page to see all current promotions for that device. You can even click on "Details" to find out more, like if the device has a trade-in promotion. Please let us know if you have any other questions we can assist with.

-Russell

0 Likes
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Russell, I actually live in an area that supposedly has ultra wideband coverage according to the maps and numerous Verizon reps I have spoken with and still the LG V50 ThinQ gets no 5G service. No one can explain why. So either the maps are wrong or the phone just isn't what it was marketed to be and that's why I'm now shopping around for the best deal I can find for a new phone.

0 Likes
SaltyS21U_User
Contributor - Level 3

@Nearly20yearswithvzw wrote:

Russell, I actually live in an area that supposedly has ultra wideband coverage according to the maps and numerous Verizon reps I have spoken with and still the LG V50 ThinQ gets no 5G service. No one can explain why. So either the maps are wrong or the phone just isn't what it was marketed to be and that's why I'm now shopping around for the best deal I can find for a new phone.

@Nearly20yearswithvzw 

Well, if your handle is whom you say you are, (meaning you have been with VERIZON for nearly 20 years) then you should have been able to realize the Verizon Customer Support has changed for the worse dramatically as you have witnessed in this thread. They feel they know everything, when actually they know absolutely nothing. I wish you the best of luck and would say find a Verizon Corporate store you trust and leave the store and double check everything twice before making any purchases or make the move to AT&T or T-Mobile. Verizon is not who they were.

Salty... Oh, yes I am!!
0 Likes
Nearly20yearswithvzw
Enthusiast - Level 3

Lol...Actually it's now over 20years since I created that 2+ years ago.

You are 100% right that Verizon is a bit full of itself. I will say I have found a few VCS folks who were very helpful in the past. While I was trying to figure out the lack of 5G service I had one woman on the phone with me for nearly 30min. She was amazing. She reviewed everything on the account and about the phone and my location and tried everything to understand why I wasn't getting 5G. She admitted that I certainly should be able to get 5G on my phone for my location but was totally al a loss as to why I wasn't, and had the courage to admit it. I respect that. I also had some great help a couple of years ago and was hoping I might again to get a new phone and stay with the company but not sure now.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are here, and we are ready to assist with all of your concerns directly! Please Private Message us in order to proceed! *Jorge

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We would be sad if you left us. We do appreciate your two decades of loyalty. I do know our 5G is always expanding. You can keep track here: https://www.verizon.com/5g/

-Amber

0 Likes