GPS signal lost. This is ridiculous. Samsung Galaxy SIII
MerJade
Enthusiast - Level 2

The first phone I had of this style was awesome with GPS. I dropped it and smashed the screen. I've had this one a while, but don't use GPS too often when I'm in my own town. I went on vacation and realized my GPS did work barely at all! It would search where I was looking for, give me the directions, but when I would start navigation, I would just say GPS signal lost. At the same time my boyfriend's SII & my tablet would work fine. This is really annoying because I still have 6 months left until my upgrade and I can't use a really important function of this phone!

Labels (1)
Re: GPS signal lost. This is ridiculous. Samsung Galaxy SIII
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have a reliable GPS, MerJade. I don't want you to have to worry about getting lost in an unfamiliar area. Have you checked to ensure your software is up to date? You can do this by going to Settings > About Phone > Software Update > Check New. When enabling location services, are you selecting all of the boxes? You can confirm this under Settings > Location Services.

AndreaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
MerJade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did the update. I made sure everything was set correctly. It still does not work. It will find my location pretty well, but as soon as I start with navigation or start driving, it says GPS signal lost. Sometimes it will reconnect, but it won't last more than a minute. I thought maybe I needed to use the VZ Navigator, so I signed up for that. It does the same thing or just stays in the last position it made connection to. I know with the phone I had before & my tablet, it would show you driving almost down to the foot! That's what comes in helpful in a vacation city. I can read a map, but when I'm driving, it's hard and unsafe to do that at the same time. I have now also paid for a month of VZ Navigator that I didn't use because it doesn't work. I can use a non working service for free. I am not eligible for an upgrade until December and now that this has really been brought to my attention that my GPS doesn't work, this kind of makes me really angry. I know that sales & technical are probably 2 different departments, but this is also the first time that I haven't been offered an upgrade at 18 months instead of 24 months, which is the time of my contract. If I was being offered an upgrade, this would be a non issue, I'd upgrade to the S5 and call it a day, but since I have almost 6 months left before an upgrade, every time I look at maps on my phone or have a use for GPS, it makes me mad! That I payed for a phone that has never worked correctly, it just wasn't fully brought to my attention until now. I will try whatever fixes you may suggest, but I have tried this once before. I went into the store & talked to a person working there and they told me I needed to do the same settings you had suggested before and it did nothing. & I don't think it would be worth my while for an insurance claim, when it's been a fault with the phone since I got it.

stef7
Master - Level 2

Go into Settings.

Select Date & time.

Select Automatic date & time

and Automatic time zone

Download from the Playstore GPS Status and Toolbox.

Run the program.

Press the Menu key.

Calibrate the compass.

Calibrate pitch and roll.

Then go into Manage A-GPS state

Select reset to clear all the data (i.e. a cold start).

Press Download to download GPS data.

Go outside where there is a clear view of the sky.

Let it acquire Lat/Lon lock.

Now try Google Nav.

0 Likes
MerJade
Enthusiast - Level 2

This did not fix my problem! I thought it did at first. Seemed to be ok while I was at my office, but when I left for the day, I did navigation to my house just to check it and it gave me the "GPS Signal Lost" Thanks for trying to help Stef7! I think I just have a lemon phone! My first Galaxy S3 was great, it would tell me where to turn almost to inches.. my phone now, I'm lucky if I get within a few miles because the signal is always "lost".

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MerJade,

Thanks for doing those steps for us. I know the importance of having the GPS work on the phone. Do you have any kind of issues with your data services in these area? Have you ever had the sim card replaced on the device? Is there any kind of physical or liquid damage to your phone? I want to make sure that we get to the bottom of this for you ASAP. I hope to hear back from you soon.

KevinR_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
buckeye3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

my s3 has recently started doing the same thing... ive had it almost 2 years and seems to have started the issue after an update??  any resolution to this issue yet?

buckeye3000
Enthusiast - Level 2

the weather channel ap  and another weather ap seems to be the issue... turning off gps location on that ap seems to have fixed the issue on my device.... at least today so far its been 100%

0 Likes
tmiller72954
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the EXACT same issue! This is my second phone from Verizon as well. We are on vacation and it's a pain in the ass! My husband has the Samsung S4 and his GPS works fine! I've done everything you've said and nothing works! Please let me know why.

0 Likes
mb6251723

I went to the edge plan to get a s5...I tried 2 phones....had this issue...verizon acted like I was nuts.  My gps works but now I have new battles.  I don't know what happenned to verizon but it has gone sour

0 Likes