Galaxy Nexus will not Roam
duke69111

Hi All,

I live in Kansas where in a lot of places service can be poor or not existent. While visiting my family and my girlfriends family over Christmas, who live in two different areas in Southeast Kansas, where both phone and 4g/3g/1x data signal does not exist from Verizon. US Cellular is the main carrier for service in both areas with great coverage and I noticed that my new galaxy nexus did not automatically connect to the US Cellular network in either location for roaming. I was left with no connectivity at all for the entire weekend.  We also have a LG ENVY 3 that will not roam as well. 

PRL on my Galaxy Nexus is 15098.

PRL on the three LG Envy 3's is 52642.  These three phones are all up to the latest version using the *228.

My question is there a reason why my galaxy nexus did not automatically connect to the US Cellular network to roam?

Also is there a way to force my phone to connect to US Cellular when I am in these dead zones for Verizon?

Thanks in advance?

As a side note, I have the Data Roaming checked in the Mobile Network Settings and I have the System Select set to Automatic.  I also had the data type set to CDMA/3g only.

I was also an Alltel customer that was converted to Verizon, but when I got my Motorola Droid in December 2009 we were required to change our family plan to the Verizon Wireless 700 minute plan.   

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy Nexus will not Roam
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Sounds like you have every thing set up properly and your GNex is on the latest PRL for LTE phones.  It's possible that Verizon doesn't have a roaming agreement with US Cellular, though if they don't  have good coverage, I don't see why not.  I would suggest calling Verizon CS and tell them the issue you are having and they may be able to get a solution for you.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I can Vouch for this Demmo as i too live in this state were the Cows are more in Numbers than our cellphone Towers. In the Cities the phones work good but you get out in the Rule Area's an you better have a Satallite phone!! that is if you can Afford it. When Alltel was our Carrier it Ruled the Country Side for some time then in 2007 or 2008 they were allowed in the Wichita Area an this was good for us an it worked great because we didn't have to worry about Roaming but there were still some open spots that could drop a Call every now an then an one of them is on K96 over around the Mt Hope Area. An to this day it is still there.

But if Verizon got all of the Existing Towers that Alltel Owned an that are along the Highways.  From what i heard are good Towers an they stick up high enough up in the Air to boost the Signal in a wide swath.

U.S. Cellular:

An from what i heard from Nephew U.S. Cellular is big in the Area of North an North East Oklahoma an Southeast East Kansas an Doing a Search on Cell Reception Confirmed that Which i figured they Gobbled that up when the Verizon/Alltel Buy went Thru. But they are in No hurry to get there 4G across the Country like Verizon is an as for Roaming agreements i not shure if any exist another place that is bad for Verizon phones is in Missouri around the Columbia Area were the University is that is another area that is big with U.S.Cellular an as i said Verizon Phones don't work to good there. My dad is a truck driver an back some time ago when he delivered groceries at the Dillons stores there in Columbia.  He tried on several occasion to call but the calls just wouldn't go thru an he found out that since Verizon does'nt have a presence there it's hard to get out. B33 

0 Likes
duke69111

I actually called Verizon Wireless technical support last Saturday.

The tech that I spoke with checked the two areas that I go to and confirmed that Verizon is mostly non existent. He then went on to say that the phone should roam in both areas and he did not have any answer as to why it was not roaming.

His solution to my problem was to purchase a prepaid US Cellular phone and forward my calls to it when I am in these areas. I must admit that it is a solution, but what an asinine thing for a Verizon employee to tell a subscriber. He also stated that Verizon just needs to add more towers in the area, which I can almost guarantee will never happen.

So as of now I am still at a loss as to why my phone is not roaming in these areas and I am hoping a Verizon employee will pop in here and provide some insight.  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

There are a lot of factors putting up a tower and some of them are pretty stupid and has nothing to do with carriers.

I am assuming the roaming agreement has recently changed in that area.

0 Likes
duke69111

I called Verizon Wireless again and got a knowledgeable tech this time.  He informed me that Verizon does not have a roaming agreement in that area; therefore none of my phones will roam.  Verizon's maps are tough to read/understand, but they are clearly wrong/incorrect in both areas.  The voice map is the one that is the most inaccurate as it show coverage for almost all of the area that is the problem.  The data map is a little more accurate.

Does anybody know who I could contact or speak to about the roaming agreements and getting the maps corrected?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

The roaming agreement could have recently expired, and the maps haven't been updated or in the works for a new agreement.  As far as I can remember you have to call...  Shoot now I am drawing a brain fart... Give me a second I will get it in a bit...

0 Likes