Galaxy S3 Battery Drain with KitKat
NicholasJay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I updated to KitKat (4.4.2) a few days ago on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Since then my battery hasn't lasted nearly as long as it used to. The stock battery monitor (under Settings) shows 'Android System' is consuming way more battery life this ever used to.  Upwards of 25% - 45% at any given moment I check. It's now the top battery drain when the Screen used to be.

Things I've done:

1) Leave the battery out for a few minutes

2) Wipe the system cache partitiion

3) Factory reset (several times)

4) A combination of 1,2 & 3.

I've also done a factory reset and left the phone alone (no extra apps, airplane mode, no use) and the Android System still consumes all kinds of battery life. This looks like a OS-level bug.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 Battery Drain with KitKat
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

NicholasJay We are sorry to hear about the battery issues since the update. I see that you have completed the steps we would have you try. Please try to place the phone in Safe mode and allow it to charge to 100% http://vz.to/1lMpHif
Sheritah_vzw
Follow us on Twitter
@VZWSupport

0 Likes
NicholasJay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the reply! Coincidentally, starting this morning, I charged the phone up to 100%, and rebooted it into safe mode here are the screen shots so far from the Battery screens. I can post more screen shots later if you'd like. Is there anything else I can do? Or you can do?

Screenshot_2014-06-27-09-47-16.png

Screenshot_2014-06-27-09-47-19.png

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for doing that for us, NicholasJay.
We do have other ways to extend the battery life for the Galaxy SIII. Please take a look here http://vz.to/1mbq3iN to see if these are some best practices that you are using.
We are on a mission to ensure you have the best battery life possible.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
NicholasJay
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. I'm already doing most of the things on the list ( leaving GPS/Wifi/Bluetooth off, no widgets, screen dimmed, etc). I'm just really shocked that after the update the Android System is taking a large amount of battery life. It looks like it is forcing the CPU to stay awake a lot longer than it used to. I'm hoping someone is working on an update to 4.4.2 that fixes this problem. Android System never took this amount of battery life before.

Screenshot_2014-06-27-12-52-02.png

0 Likes
Drgonfyre

I have noticed this same issue.  I use to be able to get 10+ hours with moderate usage. Now I get about 5-6 hours with light use.  It seems I have to keep the phone on the charger constantly in order to be able to leave the house and have a phone while I'm out.   I've completed the steps as above and the problem persists.  I shouldn't have to walk on eggshells when I know I've had longer battery life pre 4.4.2.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

what is the reason you don't seem to have any cell signal for most of time shown in your screenshot?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
NicholasJay
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm not sure why it doesn't show green across the board. As you can see fro the other screen shots I have full bars and LTE coverage. In fact from my office desk (where the phone was sitting the entire time) I can see a Verizon cell tower out my window.

0 Likes
boychik0830
Contributor - Level 1

do not count on a fix because I have had huge battery drain since I got 4.3 on my s3 and Verizon refuses to fix it. so stupid and I cannot wait till I can get a new phone.

0 Likes
Patience_Gone
Contributor - Level 3

Have you tried contacting Samsung Tech Support? 

The manufacturer support may have fixes for the Android update that may or may not be passed on to the carrier. 

0 Likes