Re: Galaxy S3 message "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." when USB connected to PC
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@barakca,

Let's get to the bottom of this!

Are you having issues with the S3 or S4?  Below I have provided instruction for both devices.

S3 - http://vz.to/QPNX4x
S4 - http://vz.to/14NOiJh

You can also use the Verizon Cloud to help transfer media http://vz.to/19B28om.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

John_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S3 message "Your device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware." when USB connected to PC
sulkes_band
Enthusiast - Level 1

VERIZON YOUR RESPONSES ARE WRONG. YOU HAVE NOT HELPED ANY ONE HERE. THIS ISSUE STARTED AFTER THE PUSHED UPDATE. I NO LONGER CAN CONNECT TO MY PC AND TRANSFER FILES EITHER WAY. THE PHONE DOES NOT SHOW UP AS A DRIVE AS IT DID BEFORE.

CAN SOMEONE AT VZW WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING RESPOND TO THIS!!

JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Dion,

In both cases it was the same OS. Windows 7. And they don't have service packs for Win7 yet.

I think you're missing the point though.

The error comes from the Verizon software it comes from the "VZW Software Upgrade Assistant - Samsung" application.

So the fact that I don't get this error on my work PC makes sense because I haven't installed (nor will or, nor am I allowed to) the verizon software on my company PC.

Moreover, the error stops appearing when I uninstalled the Verizon software from  my home PC. It appears that the problem is a mismatch between the Verizon Software and the Software that was pushed to my phone.

The big problem now is that I can no longer repair, or upgrade my phones software now.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

All upgrades are pushed to the phones OTA, don't even bother with the Verizon software.  Any other access to your phones firmware (which most users never need) can be done through ADB.

JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Demmo86rt,

Thank you for the suggestion. When you say ADB, I assume you mean Android Debug Bridge?

I'm sure this is probably a work around. And for the savvy android user it's probably quite straight forward. However, I have a general concern about this because if I have a problem with the phone and the Verizon people tell me to use the Upgrade and/or Repair assistant -- I can't. And once we get to that level I have very little faith that Verizon would be able to help me beyond that.

This is sort of evident even in the form replies from Verizon tech. They overlook the obvious and rather than fix their software they are trying to say it's a problem with the computer the software is installed on.

I appreciate you sharing an alternative, but my hope is that Verizon will step up and fix their PC software.

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

A new version of the Verizon PC software was pushed to my computer last night.

Sadly it still doesn't work with the OS that was previous pushed to my phone. The Versizon upgrade/update assistant still fails to see the phone.

When the phone is connected to the PC and the Verizon upgrade/update assistant is started. The Verizon application presents a dialog that says "You device's current firmware version is not supported to update firmware". Clicking OK takes you to the Verizon application and it doesn't show any phones as connected, and gives a warning that if the phone is connected it needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Unplugging and plugging the phone back in, just repeats the failure dialog and the phone is never recognized by the Verizon software.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

TBH, I avoid Verizon's software as much as possible.

0 Likes
JohnRRocha
Enthusiast - Level 3

Today, July 10th, it all magically starts to work again.

This morning I started the PC, plugged in the phone and now I get the happy message. "The software on your phone is up to date."

1.PNG

Verizon software was last updated on 7/8 and 7/1.

2.PNG

The phone's OS is the same as before.

Perhaps new Verizon PC software did work, but needed a PC reboot in order to be activated? I don't know. But now when I start the Verizon Software Assistant it detects my device, telling me it's locked.

3.PNG

I unlock and restart the assistant and it now recognizes my phone.

4.PNG

So now it all works for me. I assume the the solution was the new Verizon Software. But I don't know.

0 Likes