Galaxy S4 KitKat Update SD Card Issues
Timbo1138
Enthusiast - Level 1

So I performed the Verizon update which now has Android 4.4.  Life seemed good.  I noticed some interface changes but nothing to major until I went to update my playlist through DoubleTwist AirSync.  I have a 32g SD Card so I can load lots of music, documents, photos, videos, etc.  I saw this message pop up on DoubleTwist.

2014-05-08 23.59.04.png

First of all, my name is not Dave, not sure how they got that but that is beside the point.

I realized that Google blocked third party apps from writing to the SD Card.  Keep in mind Google Music can just not anyone else unless you root your phone and install another third party app that overrides this limitation.  The very reason I bought DoubleTwist is because the Amazon MP3 and Google cannot seem to figure out how to keep the music playlists synced without mass duplications or music just not showing up at all. Since I don't mess with Apple, I still wanted to sync my itunes which DoubleTwist does awesome at and over the WiFi.  I have a larger SD Card to fit my music on it.  Now I have to use my internal memory.  After some internet research, the supposed reasons is because of potential security issues writing to the SD card.  Another reason supposedly is to drive people to Google Music. 

Lets address the security issue...

I don't mind having this feature active by default but why not allow the user to deactivate knowing the potential security limitations.  It's called personal responsibility.  My phone.  My data.  I do what I want with it.  If someone hacks my phone and steals my music well I will deal with that if it happens.  I don't need someone forcing me on how to use my phone. 

Let's address driving people to Google Music

I can see this being a marketing strategy.  One that sucks mind you.  It makes me just want to not us them that much more.  It also puts Google in control of my music.  Not into that.

My theory

What's the real reason?  Both points don't pass the common sense test.  I think there is a reason we are not told but who knows what that is.

Either way, how do we solve this problem Verizon?  Can we just have this "security feature" be deactivated by the end user if they desire such?

Or does anyone have any suggestions on how to override without rooting the phone?

I contacted Samsung.  They told me to contact Google.  Google told me to contact Verizon.  What next?

</rant>

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Galaxy S4 KitKat Update SD Card Issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

KitKat and SD cards — what's fixed, what's broken and what's misunderstood | Android Central

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Timbo1138
Enthusiast - Level 1

It still doesn't solve the issue. I understand Linux permissions...chmod, security, etc. Allow default app basec permissions and allow the user to customize the permissions and default folders if need be. Something that we get to do already if we root the phone.

dperc83

I am having the same issues and it is horrible. A Verizon rep at a store recommended that I backup my sd card and reformat it. I can't even get my old files off the card. My computer freezes when trying to access the card. I've tried this on multiple computers, and it's always the same result. I bought the S4 because it was supposed to be my "life companion", and now I've potentially lost all my pictures and videos. Texting is also slower, and I have even worse signal. I really hope there is an update soon. I've been a Verizon customer for 12 years, and I am seriously thinking of switching carriers because of this.

0 Likes
Jeaninlvnv

My S4 has corrupted 2 external memory cards since 4.4.2 update. PC confirms cards are corrupted. Verizon tech support said ????  Samsung chat said get one of their cards - & clear the cache before inserting new card. Tried that yesterday - reloaded music, photos, docs,  & all stable so far.

0 Likes
ellaspike
Enthusiast - Level 2

Re: "I'm sorry, Dave..."  Have you ever seen the movie 2001?