Re: Galaxy S4 randomly rebooting after VRUFNG6 update!
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Why would a phone service like Verizon or ATT, Sprint etc. not want your device to operate? This is not only you losing your service but for the company a loss of revenue to them in lost DATA, minutes used as per your plan. And by the way the new update is not tested for the plus1000's of apps available. Perhaps the negligence is in our love and use of the many apps that we, the user's fail to read or learn before installing.  thanks for your input. 

0 Likes
Sweettooth187
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand the point you're trying to make but fact of the matter is, the solution isn't for us to not download any third party apps because the software updates are too sensitive to work in conjunction without randomly rebooting. Imagine how that would sell in the latest ads: The new Galaxy Note - vibrant display, fast, full of useful features, and it has a stylus, just don't download anything other than what's pre-installed otherwise it might restart every hour. Suck on that Apple.

0 Likes
Sweettooth187
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sidenote: I don't know if anyone noticed, but it seems to me that when it does restart, it's mainly when unlockin shortly after the screen times out.

bowbag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been slowly removing software from my phone.  Nothing has made a difference yet though.

I think what is really lacking, and Verizon COULD control this is an effective way to downgrade our phones back to the previous firmware.  These phones are basically computers, they do a lot of things and many people rely on them for all sorts of tasks.  Verizon isn't the cheapest carrier out there.  We pay a premium because we want the fastest most reliable there is, because of the importance of the tasks we do with our phones.  Having updates come out like this in a seemingly slap dash manner, with no recourse to correct issues other then basically a complete reinstall and MAYBE it'll work, is unacceptable.

Ray_Sir
Enthusiast - Level 2

So, I've wiped my phone and re-installed everything I needed - the rebooting went away HOWEVER - the battery drain became horrible (getting about 3 hours per full charge) - so bad that if I was connected to a computer it was still draining, just not as fast.  After reading other posts, I decided to uninstall Skype (you know, that little known program that Verizon can't be faulted for knowing about since it only has about 5 million users) -- Skype is something I need for work - as important for communications as exchange services. 

The powerdrain did go away, but now I'm Skypeless - so the arguments that Verizon can't test EVERYTHING, just the biggest programs is now falling on deaf ears - if it can't test with something as popular as Skype, then I doubt they tested with anything that doesn't have a red logo.  (I'm talking directly to you GalaxyClass)

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

I understand your feelings as I also own phones that cause me problems. However I stand by what I said about upgrades as not being the main source of problems, there are times but rare when they are bad in some areas. With that said let's try again to solve your problem. You have wiped your phone, are you saying you did a complete FDR on you device and your main problem now is battery and Skype only?

0 Likes
bowbag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I reverted my phone back to NC5 yesterday.  So far it's been about 24 hours with no reboots.  This can be done WITHOUT rooting your phone.  However you have to poke around the web to figure it out as Verizon and Samsung would rather everyone reset and reload and pray that the issues are corrected.

I for one do not plan on updating this phone ever again without thoroughly researching if the update works properly or not.  Really the phone works great on NC5, I'm starting to think that with these types of phones, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" may be the best course of action.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Apparently, AFTER performing an FDR, many people have phones still rebooting. The FDR is probably not doing as complete a wipe as needed, and stray bits are causing poorly written aspects of the update to function improperly.

Why then would an install using the Software Repair Tool work for these people?

Makes you think.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Your right on that stef7  ,  Many wipes are sometimes needed to clear the resident stray data bits. The SRT won't work as long as there is bad code in those system config files. Good point...

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

GalaxyClass, take a look at the lastest post in this thread by Metalunna:

Verizon NG6 Update: Multiple random reboots?

0 Likes