Re: Galaxy S4 randomly rebooting after VRUFNG6 update!
bowbag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon definitely dropped the ball on this release but that aside, many people aren't in a position to move, they're stuck in a contract or have their phone paid for through a employer.  Reverting to NG5 really wasn't a big deal.  I turned off the updates so I'm not alerted to NG6 anymore and my phone has been rock solid ever since.  Just make sure you backup everything with kies3 before you do, worst case is you'll have to hard reset it but at least a hard reset after the downgrade will leave you with a properly functioning phone again.

There are other things you can do to your phone that will let you remove the bloatware.  Naughty naughty things, but a little birdie told me those things enhance the performance of your phone quite nicely.  If you're like me and got your S4 at launch your device is out of warranty anyway.  You don't have much to lose, especially when the vendor itself is so quick to release firmware that breaks the device.

The beauty of these Samsung devices is that they are so widely used across all carriers and all countries.  Because of their popularity you can find out alot of tips and tricks you can do with them online.  I know a lot of people really don't want to get into the inners of their phone(I didn't want to a few weeks back) but if you want to become carrier independent regarding the support of your phone, it's only a google search away.

0 Likes
ljer

I'm now about 40 hours without a reboot, enabling all apps did it.

Such a relief after weeks of reboots; FDR, clearing system cache, and repair assistant didn't work and I was just going to wait until my contract was up to get a new phone.

0 Likes
Greencat

Looks like different solutions for different folks. I tried clearing system cache and  enabling all apps but that did not help.

Last night I use repair assistant (Kies) and that did work. It is similar to a factory reset but it is able to backup and restore very easily. If nothing else works then I would try Kies before doing a factory reset.

0 Likes
skyman2112
Enthusiast - Level 2

NG6 cause many problems for me too. I had so many wavelocks ( android processes that do tasks) the battery was going dead fast.. Maybe from all the junk in my system even though I cleared and wiped the partition in recovery mode.  I ended up resetting the phone and turning off about 25 apps ( the ones i had turned off pre-NG6) to try to save the battery.. NG6 didn't play nice with that. The phone started rebooting every 30 minutes or so. I turned everything back on and amazingly the reboots stopped.. Turned off the master sync button and verizon cloud, sync, and protection apps too and seemed to make the battery last longer. Hope this helps.

skyman2112
Enthusiast - Level 2

What about battery life after NG6. Any tips for that one ???

0 Likes
eddieb1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I solved my problems by re-enabling every single one of my disabled apps,

as others suggested on this thread.  No random reboots after that.

Previously they were occurring at least every half hour, more if I was

using the phone.  After a day or two I disabled all of the apps again to

see if anything would happen and I am still running okay on NG6.  Saved me

from having to do a hard reset or anything drastic.  Thanks to whoever

first recommended that fix!  This whole thing was very frustrating and not

getting any good answers out of Verizon is total crap.

As for the battery drain that was happening, I did the typical looking at

what was draining the battery in the battery section of the "more" settings

menu.  Then I went to application manager to the running apps and stopped

the processes that I could.  The major culprit for me was Google+, so I

disabled it and reinstalled from the play store.  Seems to be good so far.

It sucks that I can't use any of the cool features of this phone (google

now comes to mind) without severe battery drain.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

That is good news, and a fine report. You mean to tell everyone reading your post, you re-enabled all apps, then used the phone for a while to make sure it was stable without rebooting, and then you proceeded to disable some apps, and you are still OK without reboots?

If so, this will please others!

0 Likes
drsbryanoverlin
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do you downgrade?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

drsbryanoverlin wrote:

How do you downgrade?

You need to look elsewhere for the answer to your question. The ToS here doesn't let such discussions continue.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PrTBrownT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did what someone else suggested....re-enabled EVERYTHING I disabled

(apps). My phone hasnt rebooted yet. Its been almost a week and I was

rebooting every hour prior for a month. I have since re-disabled all those

apps and everything seems to be normal again. I'll keep you all posted.