Galaxy S5 won't add Gmail account even though correct information is entered
ldldld
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there, Ive successfully added a hotmail and gmail account to my galaxy s5.

However, I have been trying to add my new school email address, which is gmail based, to my phone. It worked for about a month and then told me i had to reenter information.

Now, it says my username and password don't match, even though the information is entered correctly.

Help! I need to make this work, I must be able to access my usc email and it's unacceptable that it won't connect!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Galaxy S5 won't add Gmail account even though correct information is entered
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your school use a Single Sign-on system for their e-mail? You may need to do a "Web Login" on the phone. To do this, go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google > Existing and then tap your Menu button. From here, select Browser Sign-in. Proceed to log into your school account as if you were to login to it via Google.

In cases where you need to be taken to a school website, at the Google login screen you will need to enter your e-mail as the Google username, and leave the password blank. When you hit Sign in, Google will redirect you to your school's Single Sign-on system where you may then log in.

View solution in original post

Re: Galaxy S5 won't add Gmail account even though correct information is entered
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ldldld,

That is not good at all! We want to make sure we get this working for you! Have you tried to remove the email address and then readd it? http://vz.to/1rdEw2W Let me know if this works for you!

StevenR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ldldld
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Steven,

I did remove the account a fews weeks ago when the issue began. I cannot add the account again. I start by first choosing existing account, because it already exists, but then it tells me that the username and password don't match.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ldldld,

Thank you very much for that information. I was wondering if you could walk me through each screen that you go to as you try to set up the account. There may be an alternative way that it needs to be set up for it to work. Have you tried contacting the University's IT group? There may have been security updates that altered the way the email account must be set up.

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ldldld
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi there, the IT group says nothing has changed. I begin by going to Settings > Account > Add Account > Google > Existing, then I input my information and click OK when the google prompt pops up, and I receive the error message that says: "Couldn't sign in. Your username and password don't match. Try again. To recover your account info, go to google.com/accounts/recovery/."l

As I previously mentioned, my log in information is correct and has not changed. I was able to add the account once before using this same process. The account was present for a couple weeks before I encountered trouble.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does your school use a Single Sign-on system for their e-mail? You may need to do a "Web Login" on the phone. To do this, go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google > Existing and then tap your Menu button. From here, select Browser Sign-in. Proceed to log into your school account as if you were to login to it via Google.

In cases where you need to be taken to a school website, at the Google login screen you will need to enter your e-mail as the Google username, and leave the password blank. When you hit Sign in, Google will redirect you to your school's Single Sign-on system where you may then log in.

ldldld
Enthusiast - Level 2

smith6612 thanks so much! that did the trick!