Gallery App is Malware?
Pink131980
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi All,

I did a search for this on these boards and online, but I could not find any helpful information. 

I've had my Note 3 for almost 2 years and this morning I woke up to this message from my VZ Protect:

Gallery: Infecteed by: Malware

/system/priv-app/SecGallery2013/SecGallery2013.apk Infected by: Malware

Two days prior I had installed a Disney game called Tsum Tsum, Whatsapp and an app called Cram. I uninstalled Tsum Tsum and Whatsapp, (I did not uninstall Cram, I need it.) I don't think those were the problem as my VZ Protect scans each night and only discovered a problem 2 days later, but I panicked and started blaming everything.

Should I be worried? Is there anyway I can get rid of this malware?  Should I try another virus scanner?

I'm anxious about passwords and such being stolen. Smiley Sad

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Gallery App is Malware?
Snn5
Legend

It's not an update issue, it's an ad for their product.  It is, in itself, adware, which is considered by many to be malware.  It is hypocritical, although harmless...rather useless.

View solution in original post

agourley
Enthusiast - Level 1

Around 1 am I got the same notification. It wants you to uninstall gallery but you can't. Any help from the Verizon folks would be appreciated.

Snn5
Legend

That Verizon Protect app has more false alarms than it's worth.  If you really think you might be in danger, use Malwarebytes or Avast.

Mac110m
Enthusiast - Level 1

My Note 3 just come up with the same problem...Not sure what do? Wipe it clean and reboot?

Snn5
Legend

NO, you don't have to wipe it clean.  Just disable the Vzw Protect app and install a reputable app.

jen564
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue with my Note 3.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

I agree. Disable VZProtect. I tried it and found that it gave me more alerts than I needed/wanted. I disabled it and haven't had any issues.

ChippersMom
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had this same Threat Alert for two days. Yesterday the Verizon Tech Support had me wipe clean my Galaxy Note 3. I spent over  an hour and a half on the phone, then the rest of the day setting it up like I had a new phone - restoring everything the way it was.

This morning the Threat Alert appeared again!

I started searching the App on Google Play Store and others are having the same experience. Then I checked out here and MORE people are having the same problem! Then it seemed the "Malware" may just be the Verizon Protection App!

I called Tech Support again today - we just disabled it. Seems Verizon will be "working on it." There was an update recently - September 2 I believe. That could have been the issue. I do recall the Verizon Protection notifications just disappeared from my mobile phone - I used to see it pop up every time I turned on the phone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and there are no issues with the Gallery.

Hopefully the next update will take care of it.

We need as many people as possible feeding into this forum if they are having the same problem. 

Snn5
Legend

It's not an update issue, it's an ad for their product.  It is, in itself, adware, which is considered by many to be malware.  It is hypocritical, although harmless...rather useless.

saccors
Enthusiast - Level 1

What is the name of the malware found in the gallery app?