Google Change Privicy Policy
kb9lwu

What is Verizon's policy on the upcoming changes that Google is changing ? If a customer does not agree with the new policy change and terminate their Google account, what will happen to there phone ??

Will they be able to change phones ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Google Change Privicy Policy
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you want an Android phone, you will need the gmail account to access the Android Market and other services.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
kb9lwu

I understand that I have a Android. IF I was to not except there new policy change what will happen ?

0 Likes
Spiral
Master - Level 1

I imagine you would have to buy yourself a new phone at your own expense.  I would not think that Verizon would replace your Android model with a non-Android phone because of something they had no control over.  You would the party making the choice to close the Google account, not Verizon.

Keep in mind, the handset is still functional (as far as Verizon is concerned) without a Google account.  You just cannot access the marketplace, etc. which greatly reduces the useability.

0 Likes
cinderbloke
Contributor - Level 1

Unless Google's upcoming change in its privacy policy also forces you to have a Google account to activate an Android device (I haven't read anything to indicate it does) you should still be able to 'skip' the Gmail registration. As Ann and Spiral said, if you don't sign up you will not have access to some Google services. If you don't like Google's new policy and still want to access Android Market, keep your account and only sign-in long enough to check for apps/updates, and then sign-out again.

If you're already using an Android and want to dump your Google account(s) entirely, do a non-Google-backup of everything you can, go to 'Settings', and then delete the Account(s). If you want to be absolutely certain that all remnants of those accounts are gone, do a factory reset. In either case, be prepared to use a different source for (or sideload) your Apps (and App updates), email and backup (and maybe consider a different default search engine too). With many Android phones you can use VZW's Backup Assistant (BA) for contacts. If you elect to do a factory reset, remember to  activate BA and back-up your existing contacts before the reset.

0 Likes