HELP after latest update on Friday
ok4now2000

Help Please!  Bought my Galaxy S5 in June and has been a phenomenal phone.  Did update on Friday, Sept 26th and now have HUGE BATTERY DRAIN, as well as texts with pictures won't send and the annoying Visual Voice mail message that won't go away.  I have changed NO settings since purchased.  I was on email and Facebook for 12m and 58s and lost 4% of my battery while playing no music or video.  As I sit and type this message I have lost another 1% with phone sitting dormant.  I have tried all suggestions posted since Saturday on these issues and none have worked.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HELP after latest update on Friday
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you do a factory reset the update you installed will still be there. There is no way to uninstall an update once you install it. Doing a factory reset might get rid of all or some of the problems you are experiencing, however the best shot at having the least problems from an update is to do the factory reset prior to installing the update.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here. After update, battery was draining so much I installed 2 diff battery monitors to see if I could find the issue. Uninstalled when they said they no longer had access to battery stats unless phone was rooted.

Over the weekend, I noticed group texts would just say "download". Click download and nothing would happen. Same thing for texts with pictures - so, MMS was having an issue. I rebooted several times. Tried turning mobile data off and on. Tried airplane mode off and on. Nothing. Called verizon and tech person had me force stop messaging, clear cache, clear data. She was about to send me to tier 2 when it suddenly started working.

The next day (Monday), had the same issue. Tried the force stop, clear cache and data trick, no luck. Several reboots. Called verizon and got sent to tier 2. He talked me into a factory reset - before I reset, we went to Cloud to backup data - messages all of a sudden started flowing! Did several other tests and they started saying "download" again. Did the factory reset, sill had issue.

Tested this morning and still had issue.

I sent group text to myself and to my wife - she got it, I did not. 30 minutes later, I get the mms text I had sent to myself!

I am convinced they screwed something up in the update with their changes to Message+

FIX IT!

0 Likes
ok4now2000

Thank you for posting this ccartertn... I was so frustrated with other problems, I forgot about this one you mentioned with the group MMS.  I am also having this same issue.  Thank you for your ideas to try.  Doing a factory reset scares me... then won't it just ask you to perform this same update from Friday???  Yes I agree, they need to fix this.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you do a factory reset the update you installed will still be there. There is no way to uninstall an update once you install it. Doing a factory reset might get rid of all or some of the problems you are experiencing, however the best shot at having the least problems from an update is to do the factory reset prior to installing the update.

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I really think there is an issue with 4G. My phone is at 64% and it has been sitting on my desk with the screen off all morning.

I think the issues are related - 4G issue with MMS texts AND 4G issue causing battery drain (possibly constantly looking for a signal?)

Verizon Wireless Customer Support This needs to be fixed. Too many people are having issues after latest upgrade for this to be ignored!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

ok4now2000,

We definitely want you to be able to fully enjoy your device again. Thank you for everything you have tried thus far. When you go into settings>Battery, what shows you be using the most of your battery power? Also with text messages are you using the default VZ Messages application for the messages?

LindseyT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us, community!
Has a factory reset been done on the device since the reset?

Make sure there is an *active* cellular data connection and you are not connected to Wi-Fi only when you are trying to send MMS.

Is this an intermittent issue or are you saying it is not working at all?

What messaging application are you trying to use when you are reporting these failures?

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Battery shows Exchange Services at 26% and Android System at 24%

I suspect that one reason Exchange is higher than normal is I did a factory reset and had to setup my corporate e-mail again.

Originally, I was using Handcent, uninstalled that when I started having issues. Had the same problem with Messages and Message+. I am currently using Verizon

Intermittent is not the right word. Consistent issue is more like it. There are times when I get a pic or a group text and no issue. But, it has NOT worked more than it has worked.

Yes, the Tier 2 tech support guy had me do a Factory Rest. This did not correct the issue.

Yes, I have good cell connection where I am.

Surely you tech people search thru this forum?!?!?  When there are multiple people that are having the same problem with the same device right after an upgrade is sent out, you may want to consider that it actually might be something wrong with the upgrade.

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

Don't hold your breath. The Kitkat update  in May/June for the Galaxy S3 also caused major issues with GPS, battery drain, chargers, among other issues. Same responses you are getting now with the S5; factory reset, safe mode, buy new battery or charger. Finally, the CS reps have just stopped responding to the complaints since NOTHING they have suggested has worked for the S3. Check the S3 sub-forum for yourself.

Either Samsung's or Verizon's tweaks to KK have caused major issues, but neither will even acknowledge a problem, let alone FIX it.

0 Likes
dbenjamin

Both my wife and I are having the same problem since update. Both of us show Android System as the big drainer, but also list Samsung Push Service (we disabled this one). We have a network extender in our house and both of us are losing battery with the phone just sitting there. Prior to update we could generally go all day without charging. Phones are only 6 weeks old.

0 Likes