Re: HELP after latest update on Friday
kdbenji

Read the actual posts. The MMS is an underlying symptom. The main issue is the battery drainage since the update last week. My husband and I both have the S5 and both after the update have been struggling with battery life. Ironic since right before the update I was bragging about how happy I was with the new steady battery life of the S5. Don't tell me to factory reset my phone or that using another app besides the "factory" messaging app could be causing my drainage when NOTHING on my phone has changed except for YOUR update. Fix it already.

0 Likes
ok4now2000

My battery power is as follows: After 14m and 58s -- 31% screen, 18% Android System, 12% Android OS, 18% FB and all else less than 4%.  No videos  or music were played during this time... just checked email and FB news feed.

Text messages are what was defaulted when phone was bought in June.... Message +

I have always been connected to Wi-Fi since phone was bought.  I only turn Mobile Data on when I am not at a Wi-Fi connection.  The text messages, group text messages and picture messages have gone thru when sent until this past update.

0 Likes
dbenjamin

Sorry, mine should have been directed at  Verizon Wireless Customer Support

0 Likes
MojoPotato
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same problem here.  Seems to drain badly when the cellular signal is weak.  Did not have this problem before the update and hard reset and safe mode don't help.  Still waiting for a resolution in this other thread too: https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1141031#1141031

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still having the problem with MMS. Battery also drained very fast today.

Tested Cloud "forcing" the MMS to work tonight.

Basically, uncovered this weird phenomenon when I was about to do the Factory Reset (WASTE OF TIME!).

To test:

Send yourself a picture. Basically, in your message app - I am now using Messages - send a text with a picture to your own number.

Mine started showing "sending" with spinning circle.

Hit the left button at bottom of phone that brings up all active apps - close all.

Go into Cloud - when you go in, it says "switching to mobile network"

Hit left button again, close all.

Go into messages, BOOM, I got the message with the picture.

Unfortunately, I can't get this to happen EVERY time, but it has happened enough to make note of.

It is like going into Cloud "unclogs" or "forces on" your mobile network. Is the mobile network dormant for some reason or perhaps doing a lot of searching and busy (may explain battery drain)?

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DEBUG THIS FOR YOU!

Enough people have reported the problem. come up with a fix or let us downgrade from the last upgrade.

0 Likes
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

Many people have had battery drain issues across multiple phones after installing updates. Clearing the system cache partition (don't confuse it with the app caches) solves the battery drain problem (and others) for most people. In the below link is instructions on how to do it with the S5. Give it a try, and see if it helps resolve your problem(s).

http://cellphoneforums.net/samsung-galaxy/t370847-samsung-galaxy-s5-clearing-cache-partition-rebooti...

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is nice to know when someone suggests a Factory Reset again.

Still, in my case and I believe others too, a Factory Reset was done and the problems still exist. I assume a Factory Reset clears the system cache partition.

0 Likes
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

That's what I would think too (that a factory reset would clear the cache too), but I've heard reports that people who had problems, factory reset (still had problems after the reset), and then cleared cache found their problems disappeared afterwards. Don't know if that is an indication that a factory reset doesn't wipe the system cache, or if multiple cache clears resolved the problem (don't know why that would be the case since one wipe should clear the entire cache and not leave anything remaining in it). None the less it wouldn't hurt anyone to give it a try (since no app data, settings, or files are lost doing it).

0 Likes
ccartertn
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll give it a shot.

0 Likes
ok4now2000

Thank you Android Optimizer - I unfortunately alread performed a full system factory reset prior to your message on clearing the cache partition.  After factory reset, my battery life today is 4hours/13minutes and I have 20% Screen, 19% Anroid System, 17% Messenger + and 10% Android OS... so better than before factory reset.

I performed your steps just now to clear cache partition.  I will drain battery down to 5% again today, remove it and perform a full charge overnight and see where I am at tomorrow.

On separate note, I am still having issues with group MMS messages not coming through.

Thanks for all the responses!  I just want my phone working how it was prior to the system update.

0 Likes