Re: HTC 10 & Android 7.0
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Well maybe they should just push the OS as it is developed by Google and NOT skin it their way and take away features.

It is ridiculous the amount of time we must wait for updates.

0 Likes
douga54
Enthusiast - Level 3

If Verizon would just say it was in Stage 3 Certification, or step 11, to lets us know where they are there wouldn't be so much consternation from us who are waiting to catch up to the rest of the world with this update. 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It really doesn't matter where in the process it is. We, as end users, don't have it and that is the problem.

0 Likes
douga54
Enthusiast - Level 3

Agreed.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 8:18 AM, sprmankalel <forums@verizonwireless.com>

Tidbits
Legend

sprmankalel wrote:

Well maybe they should just push the OS as it is developed by Google and NOT skin it their way and take away features.

It is ridiculous the amount of time we must wait for updates.

If it wasn't for the skins from the manufacturers Android wouldn't have gotten as far as it has.  It wouldn't be a popular as it is today.  Google if you ever read their terms to use the Play Store there's this cute snippet that they can take the best code from manufacturers if they deemed it for the improvement for Android.

ADB for example is from Samsung

remember when there was a shortcut in the upper right for the play store?  That was from Motorola.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

douga54 wrote:

If Verizon would just say it was in Stage 3 Certification, or step 11, to lets us know where they are there wouldn't be so much consternation from us who are waiting to catch up to the rest of the world with this update.

HTC could say it if they wanted to all by themselves as they control the process.  Now here's the problem.

They haven't updated their own webpages which tells people where they are. 

HTC Software Updates | HTC United States

douga54
Enthusiast - Level 3

What I am getting is that other major carriers have released Nougat for the

HTC 10. Verizon has not. Apparently HTC has been able to meet the

requirements of the other major carriers. So it appears that it is a

Verizon-only issue with the HTC 10. If true, then Verizon should be able

to tell its customers what is going on. Does that make sense?

Tidbits
Legend

Just because it's on the other carriers doesn't mean HTC is finished. They all have different standards for VoLTE for example. They have different standards of RCS. Also having CDMA requires additional testing by Qualcomm which of course causes more time needed.

Imagine if they just pushed the update just because AT&T pushed their update, and it broke VoLTE. You would be livid right? Let's say there was a security flaw and you ended up getting compromised due to this and your bill skyrockets cause someone made in app purchases. Who would you blame? There are a lot of people things never factor in.

I will I'll tell you now. Everyone loves to blame the carriers. Have you ever considered that gives them power to delay and test updates to ensure they get blamed for something they have control of? What if everyone blamed the manufacturer like they have done in europe? We see Europe getting faster and more updates, but here in the states often months behind. Doesn't it make you wonder? Back during Android infancy They were on the same boat. They do have contracts and also subsidies for devices.

Tidbits
Legend

Verizon signs a NDA with carriers. They can only tell people what manufacturers want them to say. Also telling people things people take things as promises and also causing problems with litigation whether by consumer or another corporation.

Here is another thing to consider. If carriers are so bad, and they are delaying updates...

why doesn't Samsung say anything about it? They have enough clout that they can control their updates. If Samsung said Verizon is stopping us from updating XYZ phone and we will stop supplying Verizon with devices. If you want our best devices and support move to ABC carrier. How many millions of people would leave? Verizon wouldn't be too happy with that. Manufacturers want that money and they love it when you blame the carriers as it protects their image. Europe on the other hand. They have to update as there is nothing to hide behind.

0 Likes
douga54
Enthusiast - Level 3

Really good points and I've thought about some of that. If I was a big

carrier I would only want to deploy something I was as completely sure

about as possible. Just hoping its sooner rather than later. Enjoyed the

discussion.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Tidbits <forums@verizonwireless.com>