HTC 10 emergancy alert wont stay off
adamshtc10

I have a HTC 10 that the emergency alerts wont stay off.

If I go into the emergency alerts, and uncheck Extreme Alert, Severe Alert, and AMBER alert, later when I look, they are all checked again.

It could be 5 minutes later or a day later, at some point those options will turn back on. I have unchecked these options a hundred times by now.

I wiped the cache partition, did a factory reset, contacted HTC support 3 times, and they had me do the same thing.

HTC and Verizon support say they don't know of a bug on this, but the only way I can stop the alerts, is to turn off the notification sound and vibrate option.

Those do stay off when I uncheck them.

I could return the phone. But went into a Verizon store, unchecked the boxes on a demo model, went back 15 minutes later, and all 3 boxes were checked. so must be the software unless I just happened to test this on the only other phone that does this.

Anyone else hear of this issue?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC 10 emergancy alert wont stay off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

adamshtc10, I know this can be a nuisance if this is a feature you want to disable. Let’s dig further into this to determine the root cause of the problem. When did this first begin to happen? What version software are you running on your HTC 10?

MarkP_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
adamshtc10

I am not sure when it started, but believe it started after the update.

But again, I am not sure, as it maybe possible there were no emergency alerts during the short time between when I got the phone, and when the update was released.

I only noticed it was on, when I got an alert, and I knew I turned it off the first day I got the phone.

Then after turning off the alerts again, I got an alert a few days later, so knew there was a issue.

The software is:

Android: 6.0.1

Software number: 1.19.605.22

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for clarifying, adamshtc10. I want to make sure your alerts do not turn back on again. Are all of your other applications up to date as well?

JasperM_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
adamshtc10

Yes, I update them if they prompt me to.

But only have 6 apps on my phone. So a very short list to check.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

adamshtc10

Thank you so much for taking these steps for me! I certainly want to ensure we find a solution. Have you been able to place the device into Safe Mode to see if the options check themselves again in Safe Mode? Here's how to turn it on: http://vz.to/29Q364I

RuthW_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
adamshtc10

I rebooted in safe mode. Turned the alerts off, as they were back on.

When I checked the phone this morning, the alerts were on again.

So Safe mode didn't help.

I turned the alerts off again. And rebooted into normal mode so I could

use my apps.

And the alerts were back on again after the reboot. So disabled them,

again.

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

adamshtc10,

We will get these alert silent for you. Please follow these steps. Settings/Sounds & Notifications/Emergency Tone/Turn this to OFF. This will turn off any notifications you may receive.

RobinD_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
adamshtc10

I have already turned off the sounds, so when the alerts come in, they don’t make a noise.

However this seems to be a bug in the software that needs addressed

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Adam, it not everyday that we receive emergency alerts. It's possible that the Extreme alert, Severe alert, and AMBER alerts features are designed to stay on. In the case the need arises for you to be alerted of any of these things , we do not have a choice to turn them off totally.

RalphT_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes