HTC Droid Eris - Touch Screen Issues
tk3573

All of a sudden I am having problems with my touch screen not working properly.  I press an icon and it doesn't go to it right away and then it jumps to other applications.  I've tried taking the battery out and putting it back in but that still didn't work.  Any answers out there?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Droid Eris - Touch Screen Issues
icudoc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've had the same issues since the update.  I've tried a battery pull as well as a hard reset.  Nothing seemed to fix it.  I've also started having the keyboard shut down on me in the middle of texting or IMing.

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

HI.  I am sorry you are having issues with your touch screen on your Droid Eris.  I understand that can be frustrating.   How long has this been happening?  Did you download any updates or applications before this issues started happening?

Waiting on your reply :smileywink:

Thanks!

0 Likes
Kimberly_Nicole
Contributor - Level 2

icudoc wrote:

I've had the same issues since the update.  I've tried a battery pull as well as a hard reset.  Nothing seemed to fix it.  I've also started having the keyboard shut down on me in the middle of texting or IMing.

Hi.  I am sorry you are having the same issues.  I do see you have done a hard reset.   I understand that this has been going on for you since the update.  Did you download any applications right before or after the update?

Waiting on your reply

Thanks!

0 Likes
BurgFan

I am also having touch screen issues as well.  I have a 'dead spot' on my screen where no touch will be recognized by the phone.  Holding the phone upright, pressing the Shift, Z, X, C and V keys does nothing.  When I rotate the phone sideways, the dead spot stays in the same area of the screen.  At the home screen, the bottom 2 shortcut icons will not work.

0 Likes
alcurbSFO

I have an HTC Incredible. It was updated with android 2.2. My touch screen was randomly selecting an area about a cm from the upper right corner of the screen. I did a battery pull, but it dis not help. I did a factory reset and it helped (for now). That is, the ransom activation stopped. However there are dead spots on the touch screen.

Combing through posts I found that a good way to test the touch screen is to use a paint app and paint the entire screen with a broad brush. I did that and found two dead spots that are consistently in the same locations regardless of rotation. One dead spot (about 1 square cm area)  is located  in the same place where the random selection occurred (1 cm from the upper right of the screen) and another dead spot (1 x 2 cm area) located on the upper left flush against the corner. I tried the calibration, but that did not change anything.  I suspect that it's a hardware failure of the touch screen.  BTW: holding the phone in different ways did not affect the outcome.

So, Verizon support person, have you run into touch-screen-dead-spot-issues before with HTC handsets?  Do I need to exchange my DInc handset?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@alcurbSFO
What was that paint app you used? I would like to test something out with my phone.

Thanks

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
skittey

Hi, I know this was a while ago, but what did you do about your phone? Mine has recently developed some "dead" spots as well, and they're getting worse. I'm unable to type certain letters in texts and emails and can't use certain apps anymore. Did you get it fixed? Or get a new phone? Thanks.

0 Likes
Totally

HTC DROID ERIS has me to the boiling point with Verizon. There are documented widespread problems with the HTC device. From Battery lasting 10 minutes, touch screen scrolling to the left, dropped calls, unuseable spots in the keyboad as well as phone key pad, apps suttting down, internet closing down, LAG time in dialing, recieving, or placing calls, and the list goes on...

This Phone is a total waste of money, and all VERIZON wants me to do is SPEND MORE MONEY. With all of the users of this phone having issues, HTC, VERIZON, etc should be replacing these phones FREE of charge, OR Finding a FIX to this problem. Customer service is a total joke, no one wants to solve the problem.

I AM TOTALLY DISGUSTED with this phone and its PROVIDER VERIZON on its lack of concern on customer issues. I would rather pay a cancellation of contract fee, and move on rather than spend another red cent on this issue.

Maybe a CLASS Action lawsuit might WAKE THEM UP....

YES I AM **bleep**!!!!!!

0 Likes
mallmon73

My battery life lasts about 10 minutes.  I have to have my phone plugged in all the time.  I went ahead and bought an extended battery which worked great at first but now it only lasts about 6 hours.  I also have issues with delay in calling and sometimes it calls the last person I spoke to instead of the number I typed in or choose from my contacts.  I text a lot and lately my keyboard freezes up or puts the curser somewhere within the text and I have difficulty getting it back to where I can continue to type.  Most days I have to shut the phone down completely or pull out the battery if it is completely locked up.  Just in the last week I also have had difficulty with my screen automatically scrolling all the way to the far left screen and it will not stay on my main screen and usually have to shut down to get to the main screen.  I did a hard reset about 1 month ago and that seem to help some but I started having all the same issues again along with additional ones that I didn't have (like the scrolling to the far left & the texting errors).  Now that I know better I should have taken the phone in when I started to have problems with the battery (about 1 & 1/2 after I bought the phone).  I just checked into upgrading my phone to get rid of this eris but it will cost me about $200 to upgrade which I can not afford at the moment.  I appreciate any help that I can get. 

0 Likes