HTC Eris - Change Standard Notification Sounds??????
BG

I uploaded to the SD card some sounds I used on old my old LG Dare for text alerts, etc.  I can play these sounds from th "Music" widget and can use as ringtones.  HOWEVER, I can't seem to chooose anything other than all the default sounds for notifications.  What I would like is a separate (one of my custom sounds) for text alersts, another for emails, etc.  How can I accomplish this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Eris - Change Standard Notification Sounds??????
ivorycruncher
Contributor - Level 1

I haven't found a way, as of yet, to set custom notification sounds on me Eris either.  The current ones don't really bother me, so it's no big deal, but it might be for others.  I'm wondering if this is a limitation of Android 1.5, or Android in general.  I know Android 2.0 on the Droid has a LOT more menu options than 1.5 in the phone settings, but I don't know if this is one of them.

0 Likes
BG

I still haven't found a solution - even emailed HTC sutomer support 2 days ago and haven't received a reply.  Strange that you can add "non-standard" ringtones, but not "non-standard" text or email sounds.

0 Likes
ewarnerusa

My DROID Eris will only play the default notification sound, regardless of what I have selected for the notification sound in the phone settings.  I believe the default sound is "ascend".  Anyone else have this problem?  Thanks.

0 Likes
ewarnerusa

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Android-Devices/Droid-Eris-Changing-Notification-Sounds/m-p/118166#M3839

Found the solution!

Click the messages icon which was initially on the homepage. when inside the messaging application hit the menu key. click settings. scroll down to notification settings and then select sound. that will do it.  My Eris had the same issue/behavior.  Unfortunately this little (vital) tidbit didn't make the directors cut into the users manual.  Googled around till i found this answer.  enjoy!!

0 Likes
aacarr

I have a question anout notifications sound: can they be changed to sounds *I* install? CHanging the ringtones can't be easier: select "Use as ringtone" on the properties for the sound, SO I had hoped there would be a similarly simple way fo change notifications. If there is, I don't see it.

Help??

Other than that, I LOVE me Eris! Best fone I've used, and even better, 'cuz my SO gave it 4 XMAS with the unlimitated data plan. GGetting GREAT sound on Last.fm and Slacker radio over 3G.  Also, Kudoes to HTC for using a standard 3.5mm earphone jack: makes getting good headsst a lot easier than 2.5mm or propietary jacks do!

Peace to all in the new year.

0 Likes
lorac

i was having the same problem.  so i downloaded an app called SAVE MMS and RINGDROID from the market.  i ended up sending the sounds as a text using the sd card from another phone to mine.  once it was sent, i used the SAVE MMS app to save it to the sd card and then opened up RINGDROID, tapped on the sound, saved it as either a ringtone or a notiification.  most of my sounds or text alerts that I created on my enV transferred just fine.  hope this helps!

0 Likes
rayocon
Just got the Eris and so far so good. One questions...is there a way to have the notification repeat until I acknowledge the message. In other words, if I get a text message and I don't hear the notification I won't know unless I actually look at the phone. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
0 Likes
aacarr

Actually, I solved the problem by combining 2 ansers I saw here in forum (and my apology to the original posters, I don't know where the posts are and who did them).  It's a matter of, as they say in the real estate biz, "location, location, location." :robothappy:

First the name of the Notifications seems to be case-sensistive, on my system, at  least: "notifictaions" *NOT* "Notifications".

Next, is the location: on my SD card, the path must be, in the root folder, \media\audio\notificatons.

Puth the android-compatible sounds of your choice there, and they will show up the next time you go to

settings/sound & display/notification

Next, I want to change the sound made whrn an SMS message comes in (Star Trek tv Commmunicator chirps would be nice). THAT I *KNOW* I saw here, so time to start seaching again....

Peace.

0 Likes
ashleyks

I think you also have to have that noise or song saved a certian way also in order to use it as a notification.

0 Likes