HTC One Software Update Problems
Kimuchi

The Story:

I have an HTC One M9. My phone told me to update the software last Saturday, the 20th. I believe it was the Marshmallow update everyone is talking about. After finally downloading the software, I tried to install it on Sunday morning. Four hours later, it was still not done. It was stuck in a continuous loop of "Optimizing App ## of ##." After a few minutes of being stuck on the screen, it would auto-reboot and try again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

I took it into the store. They thought the issue was probably caused by an interruption to the download/installation process. They tried to restore it. Nothing worked, so they sent in for a replacement. It arrived on Tuesday. I transferred my cards over to the new phone and everything seemed to be going well. The Cloud saved my contacts and photos, so I was only out a few hundred levels of saved games - not too horrible of a sacrifice, considering.

Then came the software update. Once again, it froze on the "Optimizing App ## of ##" screen. I took it back into the store. The representative told me that it was probably a problem with the new update and told me to just not install until the next version is released. He then sent in for yet another phone. It arrived the next day (nice speed!). I've transferred everything over again.

The Questions:

1 - My phone is constantly reminding me there is an update. Will it try to update without needing my permission? If so, is there a way to prevent it?

2 - What should I do when the new update comes out? Since it was stuck on Optimizing Apps, should I delete all apps before trying to update?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

~Kimuchi

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC One Software Update Problems
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kimuchi

I know how important it is to have the latest update installed on your phone. We are not currently seeing any trend regarding the situation you are experiencing. It is possible you have some applications that are not compatible with the new HTC update and that is causing the phone to not finish optimizing. I would recommend performing a full factory reset and not signing into any services or download any applications and THEN perform the software update. This will ensure there is no 3rd party software installed on the device and avoid the phone attempting to optimize apps that are not compatible with it. Below is a link on how to factory reset your device. Just make sure any important information has been backed up.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-151362/

ChristopherM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes