HTC Rezound Locked Bootloader
kidwolf908

I've had the Rezound ever since the launch day on 11/14 and I love this phone.  HOWEVER, I just have to say....

VERIZON WIRELESS REALLY DROPPED THE BALL WITH THE LOCKDOWN ON THE REZOUND!

Verizon, if you care at all about the satisfaction of your customers, STOP LOCKING DOWN THE BOOTLOADERS on your android devices!

For the love of god, half of the reason why Android is so darn popular is because it is free and open and can be modified by anyone.  When you lock the bootloaders like you do on every great device, you slowly kill that Android development community that drives innovation!

And don't even get me started with the **bleep** you're pulling on the G-Nex disabling Google Wallet and attempting to lock the bootloader on a "Google Experience" device.  Pfff....

Sincerely,

**bleep** off VZW customer

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Rezound Locked Bootloader
AZSALUKI
Legend

unlock it. the rezound is no different than any of their devices. 

0 Likes
kidwolf908
I'm sorry aszaluki, but you must not he aware of the issues with the rezound. Unlocking isn't available on htcdev because Verizon forbade it. There is no longer any way to easily unlock Verizon devices.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There was never an easy way from Verizon to begin with so nothing has changed there.  The post OG Droid Motorola's have had the encrypted bootloaders and the HTC's have needed leaked engineering boot loaders with S-off.  Samsung devices have been a bit easier to hack but Samsung's lack of OS support tends to run developers away from those.  And you can't really put all the blame on Verizon as the manufacturer's are the ones bending over and delivering the devices.

And as said 100x before, the Sprint Nexus S 4G is the ONLY device that supports google wallet with no hackery needed.  Does the Nexus S on tmobile have it? NO.   It's not like there's some conspiracy of Verizon releasing the only NFC capable device without it. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

kidwolf908 wrote:
I'm sorry aszaluki, but you must not he aware of the issues with the rezound. Unlocking isn't available on htcdev because Verizon forbade it. There is no longer any way to easily unlock Verizon devices.

i guess our idea of "easily unlock" is different. admitedly, i have not read up much on the rezound. is it any more difficult than any other HTC on verizon?

0 Likes
kidwolf908

Yes, it is much more difficult than previous HTC phones on Verizon.  There seems to be no progress whatsoever in securing root or s-off and it's been almost a month since release.  So far, the only thing Rezound owners have been able to do is "temporary root" which only sticks for a couple hours.

It's really quite disheartening as this phone has such ridiculous potential, but is llimited by the locked down, bloated Verizon ROM.

I don't want to do it, but my passion for tinkering might push me into picking up the Nexus instead.

0 Likes
Gall0wz

1.  Other HTC phones took longer than a few weeks to unlock.  

2. Phone has only been out for a month.  Many developers have only had one for a couple of weeks.  Donations take a long time to roll in for new devices.  

3. Verizon isn't going to listen.  Go to the Better Business Bureau website and file your complaints with them.   

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

kidwolf908 wrote:

And don't even get me started with the **bleep** you're pulling on the G-Nex disabling Google Wallet and attempting to lock the bootloader on a "Google Experience" device.  Pfff....

Sincerely,

The bootloader comes locked on the SIM-unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, too.  The Nexus S for T-Mobile came with a locked bootloader, as well.  This isn't a "VZW Exclusive" to have locked bootloaders.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

21stNow wrote:

kidwolf908 wrote:

Sincerely,

The bootloader comes locked on the SIM-unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, too.  The Nexus S for T-Mobile came with a locked bootloader, as well.  This isn't a "VZW Exclusive" to have locked bootloaders.

I think he's trying to imply that Verizon would try to block the fastboot oem unlock which isn't the case.

0 Likes
SoundMessage

The fact that the Rezound is still locked down is the only thing keeping me from purchasing it.  And I wll not purchase any new phone on Verizon Wireless until I know it's unlockable.

0 Likes