HTC Sense vs. Moto Blur
crystal71978

OK, I have heard tons of great things about Sense, but have hardly heard anything on Blur.  I am always told it is a personal preference.  I want the Incredible, but I really like the X.  I do like how the home screen looks on the Incredible, not so much with Moto Blur.  Is there a way to change that?  It just looks kidish to me, where as with Sense it looks more refined and polished.  If I was to get the X, do I have to use Moto Blur, and if not how do I change it?  What are the Pros and Cons of both?  

Thanks for the help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: HTC Sense vs. Moto Blur
elmariachi
Enthusiast - Level 3

You're stuck with Blur unless you're willing to do some things I cannot discuss due to the terms of service.

0 Likes
crystal71978

Nice to know, so by that I would imagine that you are talking about a new UI?  Which involves doing something to my phone which in turn could very well void my warranty.  So therefore it seems a Incredible is in my future...darn it.  No chance of getting Sense on my X, which is what I was hoping for.  Thanks

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Haven't seen any concrete evidence one way or the other on whether or not you can turn off blur and just use stock android or not similar to how you can turn SenseUI off on the HTC Evo.  Can't be turned off on the Incredible though. Which based on some of the reviews and information from Motorola, it isn't really running blur as we know it.  They seem to have implemented some of the features and behind the scene stuff in a way to minimize the noticeability there is anything running unlike the Devour and AT&T Backflip which should make it a little better.  You can download apps from the market like Beautiful Widgets to get the HTC Flip Clock look or use another launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW launcher.   On a side note, they have an HTC Desire port (SenseUI w/2.1) for the original Droid so it's possible that they could try to port it over.  It was a little quirky when I was using it though

0 Likes
fezzik
Contributor - Level 3

crystal71978 wrote:

Nice to know, so by that I would imagine that you are talking about a new UI?  Which involves doing something to my phone which in turn could very well void my warranty.  So therefore it seems a Incredible is in my future...darn it.  No chance of getting Sense on my X, which is what I was hoping for.  Thanks

A new UI wouldn't void your warranty.  Infact there are several available in the Market.  The problem is if it is like Sense is now if you use one of the replacement home screens (Home++ is the best I have used) you will be using it over the Blur UI which will be a system sucking, battery draining, processing overloaded nightmare.  It may not be imbedded as deeply but it appears at least from the source codes currently available that the OS on the Incredible is void of the vanilla Android UI.  So the old solution of using a home screen switcher won't work.  From what I am reading about blur it is the same. 

For what it is worth if you read any review ever put out on the three UI's the stock Android UI and Sense are both highly praised, Sense being a bit more convenient than the stock UI but each having their own benefits.  Blur is mocked, cursed, and degraded.  I suppose someone likes it but for most of the phones it is on it is listed as the biggest and in some cases only downside.  By nature no UI should be locked in.  Some people won't like Sense and some poeple will prefer 3rd party UI's.  Sense and Blur can remain exclusive to the companies that make them but for them to be your only option with reasonable performance is a travisty.  Thank you for mentioning Droid X has Blur.  I was beginning to wish I had gotten my dad to wait a little longer so I could trade him my Droid for the ability to purchase the X for myself instead of the incredible.  Now I am glad I did it this way.  Breath of fresh air.  If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

If you haven't used Android before you will get used to and enjoy either one.  If you get the chance to try others you will probably be like most people and pick a preference from Stock or Sense.  Personally I love Sense and some of the features it has but I had everything I really wanted from a UI when I had my Droid with Stock UI and Home ++ running.  It was a little Sense-ish but a little more simple and not quite as system hoggy.  I find I am turnning off more and more of the Sense widgets because they use too many system resources with all the eye candy and flash when I could get the same functionality from other sources without sacrificing performance.  If I hadn't read that a replacement home sreen would just run over Sense instead of allow you to switch between them I haven't done it but more and more I think I would prefer to go back to my trusty Home ++.  Go figure. 

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

Blur on the X is "supposed" to be better. 

Who Knows for sure... Only when its released and tons of users mess with it will any real information come out.

0 Likes
johnni37

Hey Dab or anyone else.

I am new to the whole Android thing and am in Queue to receive the Incredible when I found out that the X was coming out at the same time.  From the hardware side it's a clear winner but now that I am reading more and more about the skins I am wondering what to do. 

From what I gather the whole Sense vs. Blur will all go out the window once Froyo is implimented, is this correct?

Is Froyo a new Skin a new OS or a skin that is integrated to the OS? 

I am confused.  Any help is appreciated.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Froyo (2.2) is the next Android OS past what comes on the Incredible (Eclair).  HTC's SenseUI is placed on top of the stock android OS so you'll have to wait until HTC gets everything integrated and Verizon approves it before you will get 2.2.  The next release after that (Gingerbread), is said to concentrate more on user interface in an effort to get rid of the need for the Manufacturers to implement their own overlay thus allowing compatible devices to get the upgrades faster.  It also seems that while the interface on the Droid X has features of Blur, it's implemented on more of an app level so it should be easier for Motorola to get the upgrade out faster.

0 Likes
basspro
Contributor - Level 1

There is NO "Blur" of any kind on the X.

http://www.androidcentral.com/droid-x-does-not-have-motoblur

0 Likes
rydiwags

Ditto basspro, no blur on the X!!! Sounds like it is all customizable!!!

0 Likes