Re: HTC U11 CDMA-Less Provisioning / BYOD/LTE-Only Severe Network/SMS Issues
mama23dogs
Legend

Tsabob033 wrote:

Did you have to root and or factory reset your phone to roll back to Nougat?

I am also experiencing the inability to send SMS and cannot connect to 5ghz wifi networks.

Wifi connectivity is entirely automatic (2.4 ghz or 5 ghz)

I can make and answer calls, I can receive SMS, and I can send and receive MMS. Can't send SMS unless I use the Verizon Messages+ app and I am on a WiFI connection. Will not work if I am off WiFi.

Try a 3rd party text app.  Textra seems to be a favorite

I'd like to roll back as well, but don't want to go through the process of backing up everything yet again and reinstalling it all yet again simply because something gets updated and Verizon seems to shrug their shoulders every time.

Verizon has no reason to concern themselves with our BOYD.  A shrug is all you get.

I also want to point out that I did not have any these issues until Monday night. I am guessing, as you put it, the network caught up with my phone and that was all she wrote. Able to send a text one minute, next I can't and I notice that I am no longer on my home 5ghz WiFI connection.

try resetting network connections.  This will mean signing back into any previous networks and possibly reprogramming APN settings.  Perhaps the reverted to HTC default.

0 Likes
Tsabob033

At home, I have ATT Uverse for Internet.  I can connect to the 2.4, but not the 5ghz.  Only connection I have tried.  At work and at my friend's house, both not 5ghz, I can connect to both networks.

I was using Android Messages by Google.  I don't really like the Verizon Messages+ app. Someone else recommended Textra.  Can't hurt to try.

Lol, yep, Sympathy, apologies, and shrugs has been it so far.  I don't want to get a new phone, may just need to switch network providers with phone costs these days.

I've done the connection reset three times.  No success.  I also haven't had any success rebooting my phone and sending SMS or connecting to my home 5ghz connection.  No success turning my wifi on and off and connecting.  And also, no success turning airplane mode on and off to cycle the radio. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tsabob033, we are sorry to hear that you are having so many issues with your HTC phone. Unfortunately, as it is a non-Verizon phone, we can't guarantee it will work on our network. Do you have the same issues when using your SIM in a Verizon branded phone? Have you reached out to HTC for assistance? Their number is: 866-449-8358.

JosephT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
MATROY2

This started happening to me yesterday.  Bam, suddenly SMS texts stopped sending.  I can still receive them, and I can send MMS messages just fine.

What did you change?  I've had Verizon AND the HTC u11 since June without issue.  As it is clearly not just my issue, I am not blaming my phone.

If Verizon cannot deliver a basic level of functionality, that's a breech of contract, and I will cancel my entire account if this is somehow unfixable.  (It's certainly not un-fixable, since it worked fine 2 days ago, but it might be something Verizon is unwilling to fix.)

0 Likes
jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

I certainly don't want to see you considering leaving us, MATROY2. I noticed other users in this post have indicated the issue began when receiving Google's Oreo update from HTC and that sending text messages seems to work when using Verizon Messages rather than HTC's native application. While we don't manufacture the phones or develop the operating system, it's still important to us that the device you chose to activate on our network can use the service we strive to provide. I'd like to ask you to use the steps at http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-u11/howto/software-updates.html to see what software version you have on your device. Also, do you notice a difference in your text message issue when using Verizon Messages https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs or alternative message applications? Does the trouble sending texts occur whether you're using Verizon Wireless service or Wi-Fi?

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MATROY2

The Verizon Message+ app can send texts to phones that also have the Verizon Message+ app, but otherwise Message+ fails just as effectively as the stock messages app.

I just wanted to remind that the stock messages app worked fine yesterday.

I have checked the software version; it is the latest.

I have cleared the system cache and the app cache.

On wi-fi or not on wi-fi does not make a difference.

For the last ~8 months, everything worked fine.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

MATROY2 wrote:

This started happening to me yesterday. Bam, suddenly SMS texts stopped sending. I can still receive them, and I can send MMS messages just fine.

What did you change? I've had Verizon AND the HTC u11 since June without issue. As it is clearly not just my issue, I am not blaming my phone.

If Verizon cannot deliver a basic level of functionality, that's a breech of contract, and I will cancel my entire account if this is somehow unfixable. (It's certainly not un-fixable, since it worked fine 2 days ago, but it might be something Verizon is unwilling to fix.)

You’re kidding right?

If you ran the IMEI through Verizon BYOD Page, it comes up as not compatible.  It’s LTE only on Verizon As it’s not a CDMA phone.

When you bring a non-carrier, non compatible phone to any carrier, you have to accept any glitches, deficiencies etc are your phone, not the carrier.  No carrier is going to ‘fix’ their network to work with your non carrier phone.

Now for the record, I love non carrier phones.  We own several.  The 6p and Moto pure worked well on Verizon. 

Im now using a oneplus 5t and really like it.  I’m using that phone on ATT because it will not work well on Verizon and I’m not deluded into thinking it would.

Sniff the java...breath deep... and choose.  Different carrier or different phone.

BTW, if you BYOD you HAVE NO “CONTRACT”.  The only agreements you have is month to month service and had you bought a phone from Verizon, to pay for it

MATROY2

Not kidding.

I brought my U11 into the Verizon store (company store, not reseller) when I switched to Verizon.

I was assured it was compatible, and up until yesterday, it was and everything worked fine.

And, having just going through customer service chat, I re-verified that it is compatible.

So, thanks for your assumption that it is not compatible, but your assumption is wrong.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Blame the FCC on that one and also HTC.

The problem arises that Verizon has to accept devices that support band 13.  If it does then it is compatible.  If HTC updates something then things break Verizon can't troubleshoot they have no control of it.  If you have a problem and someone with the same device doesn't have a problem Verizon still can't help you.  A simple update from apps can interfere with other apps and functions.  People today still don't realize this and automatically assume it's the device or the carrier. 

For example...

Some apps like Words With Friends 2 can break the Pixel 2's 'Now Playing' music recognition

This is a system app and this happens more often than people think.