Help with Battery Life Droid Razr M KitKat update jacked up my phone like everyone elses'...
jejouelaflute
Enthusiast - Level 2

So as with everyone else KitKat has screwed my phone up and I am very annoyed...  Disregarding the fact that I had to download a different keyboard because they removed Swype and screwed up the dialer and the colors of our texts, erased the calendar which thank God I didn't use because a friend who did had all her appointments removed it totally jacked up my battery life.  Yesterday I literally had a full charge at about 9:30am and by 11:30 it was down to about 30%.  I had not used it much at all and it was connected to my bluetooth in my car.  The phone also gets hot for no reason when not charging or being used.  All of a sudden my leg will get warm and I realize it's because the phone in my pocket is extremely hot...  Probably not safe.  When I look it says that the screen was draining 46% of my battery life yet the screen is set to auto as recommended in other posts I have seen from customer service.  We need a fix for this KitKat or a way to revert to Jellybean...  I can't keep my phone charging constantly and I need it as I am a social worker and am in the field often.  I need my phone for safety purposes as well as convenience.  Sigh... Verizon Wireless Customer Support HELP!  I can't CONSTANTLY charge my phone in order to be able to use it!  So annoying!

Sarah

P.S. None of this was an issue prior to KitKat being downloaded to the phone. 

Labels (1)
Re: Help with Battery Life Droid Razr M KitKat update jacked up my phone like everyone elses'...
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi jejoulaflute - Let's give you back the power to power your phone! To confirm the full charge is lasting more than 4 hours from 100% to 0%? Are you using the original charger with the device? Are you using any kind of corporate sync email account on the device? I am eager to troubleshoot to resolution!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
Re: Help with Battery Life Droid Razr M KitKat update jacked up my phone like everyone elses'...
stef7
Master - Level 2

After installing the update, did you perform a Factory Data Reset on your phone?

You might want to consider backing up your important photos, music, videos, other downloaded content. Write down critical things like your email settings. Jot down important contacts, and any calendar events. Diagram where you've located certain icons.

Then perform the FDR.

Allow three charge cycles for the phone to model battery consumption.

Other things you can do, YMMV:

Go to Settings | Tethering and networks | Mobile Networks | System Select | Network Mode | LTE/CDMA (change it from Global).

Instead of screen brightness automatic, choose something like 40-50%.

For email synching / polling, choose a polling interval of 15 or 30minutes (maybe not as often).

Go to Settings | WiFi  then press the Menu button. Choose Advanced. Make sure "Battery saving for Wi-Fi" is enabled. Deselect Scanning always available, and Deselect Wif-Fi signal weak.

Now do the following: Go to Settings | Mobile Data. Press the Menu Button. Select Show Wi-Fi usage.

Power cycle your phone.

Now you can go to Settings | Mobile Data and choose Mobile or Wi-Fi tabs and see what applications are using the corresponding radios. That and using the Settings | Battery | Select the battery, then scroll down... The three of these should show you want is consuming the battery and the radios... thus heating up your device and lowering your battery runtime.

Good luck.

0 Likes
jejouelaflute
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's a Verizon charger...  No corporate sync or anything like that.  Nothing has changed on my phone since last month except for the new "update."  No difference in how I am using it from a month ago when I "upgraded" it with KitKat.  I did have to download the Google keyboard since swype was removed with the "update."  That is the only change to my typical use is the new keyboard app.  The phone gets extremely hot when I am not even using it... It can just be sitting on the table (in sleep mode w/o the screen being on) and I grab it and it's hot.  This is concerning and happens several times a day. 

0 Likes
jejouelaflute
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks I changed the global setting.  I am hoping that this is the problem and that the "upgrade" reset this as I believe I remember someone telling me when I bought the phone to switch this and I had previously.  hopefully this will work...

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

Yes this would be located under Settings | Tethering and networks | Mobile networks | System select | Network mode, and switch from Global to LTE/CDMA.

0 Likes