Help with an app
RonAok
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Flir Cloud app installed on my phone to view my cameras when away from home. It was working fine until recently now when I am away from my wifi connection and on Verizon mobile it says unable to connect to device when I log on to view my camera system.. why??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help with an app
stef7
Master - Level 2

Were you ever able to leave the home and connect to your cameras?

Did your cameras come with an instruction manual describing things like assigning IP addresses to cameras, port forwarding on your router, the use of DDNS (Dynamic DNS)?

It's really hard to know from your description, what actual problem you are facing. I'm wagering that your ISP (internet service provider) gave your modem/router a particular IP address, and you used that address it connecting your app to the camera. The problem comes when your ISP gives your modem/router a new IP address. How does your application know how to make contact with your home's modem/router that your cameras are connected to?

There is a means via DDNS to configure the cameras to periodically talk to an address (a server) out on the web and tell that server, the return routing to your camera. Then there are no problems when your ISP gives a new IP address to your modem/router. Then you configure the app on your phone to contact that server for IP address information.

0 Likes
RonAok
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I am home I can use my phone to view my cameras with no problem but when I leave home I cannot connect to them at all any longer. The same goes for my husband's tablet. I also have another app installed to view traffic cameras on the major interstates etc that does not work at home but does away from home, the opposite of my home cameras. When I try to manual log onto my Flir Cloud app it says cannot connect to device. and my 4G icon is bouncing all over the place. I have the core prime. I'm sure my cameras manual explains all that but I am don't understand that kind of stuff. I like to turn things on and have it just work Smiley Happy I will probably end up calling the Lorex tech line for assistance. I emailed them and seem to think it was a Verizon issue since it works at home but not mobile.

RonAok
Enthusiast - Level 2

This problem came up after that Intel chip issue came to light. How would I know if has anything to do with that?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I'm fairly certain that your issue is with your modem/router getting a new IP address from your Internet Service Provider (ISP).

Yes, the behavior would be that you'd still be able to access the camera/cameras from home when your phone is on the same WiFi, but when you leave home, the app on your phone needs to make contact with your WiFi camera(s), and needs to know the proper routing to your modem/router.

You need to contact your Camera manufacturer, and ask them about this scenario, and specifically DDNS.

Another possibility would be to enable the DDNS feature on your modem/router. If DDNS is not enabled on the cameras, it could be enabled on the modem/router.

Ask them if they provide a DDNS Server for this purpose. Otherwise, I think there are some free on the web for a limited time, and then you have to pay for access. Frankly, for the money you pay for the cameras, you should get free/free DDNS service.

0 Likes