How do I prevent messaging from sending text to a landline?
Merlin61167

I have two phone numbers set up for a contact - the first number is to a cell phone and the other is to a landline. When I am driving and I say, "OK Google - text Joe Blow", it tries to send a text to the land line. Is there a way I can tell the messaging app that certain numbers won't accept text messages? I haven't figured out how to do this other than setting up separate contacts - "Joe Blow Cell" and "Joe Blow Work". Alternatively, is there a way to set one particular number as the default so that it only goes to that number when I am controlling it with voice commands?

TIA

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I prevent messaging from sending text to a landline?
kathy65793
Master - Level 1

In your contacts have one for Joe (mobile #) then the other for Blow (landline#) Thats the only way I can think of using the google voice . Maybe someone else will have a better way

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try using "Mobile" instead of "Cell". Or set one of the numbers as default.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Check the labels of each number in the contact. When you enter a number it automatically defaults to a mobile number. If you entered the landline number first that is the first number it would try to send a text to.

You can edit the labels by opening the contact and selecting the edit option (different for each phone) and change the landline to the appropriate label. I think it will say home.

Keep in mind that the feature you are trying to use is not the Message app feature but the personal assistant feature on the phone. If you change the labels the phone should be able to distinguish which number to send a text to.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Making sure you can remain hands-free when driving is critical, Merlin61167. You’ve come to the right place. The suggestions from kathy65793, Ann154, and sprmankalel are all great options. Were any of their ideas helpful? Do you have other questions or concerns we can address?

GeorgeS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the “Correct Answer” button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes