How do I report scam text messages?
AdamSobh91
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got 2 texts from different numbers but with the same message claiming that Verizon was grateful for my loyalty and as a result I could now upgrade my phone for free and to click on some link to do so. I clicked on the link and it took me to a supposed verizon website which asked me for my phone number and social security number. Verizon never asks for my social security number so I immediately exited out of my browser and cleared my history and cookies. I called one of the numbers and it was a cell phone, I left a message telling them to stop their scam or I would contact the police. About a minute later, the number called back and some woman told me that she had supposedly gotten the same scam text message as me and had no idea how it got sent from her number to mine. Verizon needs to investigate before this issue gets out of hand and customers become victims of identity theft.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting scam text messages
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
AdamSobh91,

This is definitely alarming to see! I am glad you did not put any of your information in. This does sound fraudulent. Woudl you mind reaching out to our fraud department with any information that you have? You can file a claim with them at: http://vz.to/1WaQhDa

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
AdamSobh91,

This is definitely alarming to see! I am glad you did not put any of your information in. This does sound fraudulent. Woudl you mind reaching out to our fraud department with any information that you have? You can file a claim with them at: http://vz.to/1WaQhDa

ChristinaM_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
misseggster

Hello,

My Verizon cell phone number has been compromised as part of a phishing scam.  For the last couple weeks I have been receiving text messages from numbers that are out of state and that I do not recognize.  These text messages are  from those who received the scam texts requesting that I stop sending the texts or asking who I was.  Apparently, the scam texts were sent from my verizon cell phone number without my permission or knowledge.  I asked one of the recipients to forward the scam text and it reads:

Thank you for your loyalty, now you can upgrade your device at no cost, please visit http://ow.ly/UbUp3

Yesterday, 11/8/2015, when I clicked on this link it took me to a fraudulent Verizon Sign On website and I believe was prompting for a user name and password.  Today, when I click on the link, the webpage does not come up like it's been removed or no longer accessible. 

I looked back at text messages that I received and back on Oct. 3, 2015, I received the same text message above but with a different URL.  The URL is http://ow.ly/SCsrE.  I just clicked on this link and it too is no longer available.

I'd like Verizon Wireless to open up a case and investigate this phishing scam.  How can I do this? 

Also, can VW allow text messages to be received from select states?

Thank you.

0 Likes
GVC66

AT&T has a 4 character text line that you can forward scan messages to.  Verizon please keep up!!

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@GVC66 wrote:

AT&T has a 4 character text line that you can forward scan messages to.  Verizon please keep up!!

So does VzW.  You responded to a four-year-old thread and things change over time.  See # 10 at:

What Should I Do If I Receive a Spam Text Message

0 Likes