How do I stop com.google.process.gapps has stopped error?
mheineman
Enthusiast - Level 1

My HTC Rezound started displaying the "com.google.process.gapps has stopped" and "Google Play service has stopped" errors almaost every 5 seconds.

I tried the clear cache and restart options found on the Internet with no success. I tried uninstalling the most recent downloaded apps, even though they had been running without the errors for some time.

Android version 4.0.3

Any help for an HTC Rezound would be appreciated. Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I stop com.google.process.gapps has stopped error?
mheineman
Enthusiast - Level 1

MichelleL_VZW,

Thank you for your response. I spent some time yesterday with an HTC rep in Colombia and we had to eventually factory-reset my phone. This solved the problem.

I really didn't want to do a factory reset and we tried just about everything else. We did the boot to safe mode and the messages were still appearing frequently,. The "simple" solutions found on the Internet for other devices such as Samsung's did not work at all.

I have three bits of wisdom for other HTC users who might have this issue.

1) Create backups.Connect your device to your PC via USB and back up both the internal storage and the SD card before a factory reset. I would have lost important data that only existed on the internal storage if I hadn't. Also, ensure your contacts are synced with Google or backed up using Backup Assistant (or the more recent Cloud).

2) When you do a factory reset, you will have to check the "Erase All Data" box, but you don't have to check the box to erase the SD card.

3) Even though it was a pain to reinstall and re-config, my phone feels faster and reacts "snappier" to swipes, etc.

Thanks for your consideration. - Matt

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for the details mheineman! Let's get your phone back up and running. I understand you have cleared the cache on the device and have uninstalled new applications that you have installed. Have you tried running your phone on safe mode to determine if it may be an old application you downloaded. To run your phone on safe mode click, http://vz.to/OduFYs then test device.

Thank You,
MichelleL_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
mheineman
Enthusiast - Level 1

MichelleL_VZW,

Thank you for your response. I spent some time yesterday with an HTC rep in Colombia and we had to eventually factory-reset my phone. This solved the problem.

I really didn't want to do a factory reset and we tried just about everything else. We did the boot to safe mode and the messages were still appearing frequently,. The "simple" solutions found on the Internet for other devices such as Samsung's did not work at all.

I have three bits of wisdom for other HTC users who might have this issue.

1) Create backups.Connect your device to your PC via USB and back up both the internal storage and the SD card before a factory reset. I would have lost important data that only existed on the internal storage if I hadn't. Also, ensure your contacts are synced with Google or backed up using Backup Assistant (or the more recent Cloud).

2) When you do a factory reset, you will have to check the "Erase All Data" box, but you don't have to check the box to erase the SD card.

3) Even though it was a pain to reinstall and re-config, my phone feels faster and reacts "snappier" to swipes, etc.

Thanks for your consideration. - Matt

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks so much for contacting us, mheineman.
We understand many people are opposed to factory resetting the device when you get those "force close" error messages.

We are so glad everything seems to be working better now.
Those tips are also very helpful.

TamaraH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bjmoomey

I'm having the same problem only I get a lot of other processes have stopped errors as well. The phone is unusable. It worked fine yesterday morning, but didn't work when I checked it on my lunch break yesterday. It still doesn't work. I have tried turning it off and leaving it off for hours. I have tried connecting it to a computer to try to enter through a back door. Nothing works. I can't clear the cache, because I can't get to anything on the phone. I tried calling Verizon (800) 922-0204. After several minutes of say or punch this number stuff, the computer voice said they couldn't help me and hung up. It is 1/2-hour drive to the nearest Verizon store. Is there anything I can do to get my phone up and running again?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

bjmoomey,

Look no further. We are here to help you and your phone. Have you been able to do a factory reset on the device? If no, we can provide you the steps. What device do you have?

RobinD_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
bjmoomey

No, I have not been able to do a factory reset. Will that mean I lose everything I have on it too? I have a Motorola Razr M

Posso fazer tudo em Cristo que me fortalece. Fil. 4:13 Puedo hacer todo en Cristo que me fortalece. Fil. 4:13

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for replying Bjmoomey
Yes a factory reset will wipe the device. If the contacts are backed up they will be restored. All paid apps are backed with Gmail. Here's how: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-103978/

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes