How much power does wallpaper drain from battery?
vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

I was told that using a picture of a solid color as wallpaper uses less battery power  than the colorful wallpaper on most phones?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How much power does wallpaper drain from battery?
bearone21
Legend

black will be the least draw.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Being able to get the best battery life out of your phone is important, vanigo. The color of your wallpaper wouldn't impact your battery life, but the type of wallpaper can. If you use 'live' wallpapers, such as grass moving in the wind, etc. your battery will drain faster than if you use a static (non-moving) wallpaper. Also, your screen brightness and time out interval can be a factor. We typically recommend lowering your brightness where possible and choose a timeout setting of 1 minute or less to optimize your battery life.

LynnD_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks Lynn

Does staying connected to Wi-FI or 4G LTE while in stand by mode drain the battery?

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

I think the answer is, it depends. If you screen is using LCD technology, I don't think a wallpaper mostly black is going to do much for you. If it's using AMOLED , then I think there is a savings to going with a mostly black wallpaper, and additional savings if using a black theme.

As was indicated, you're going to increase battery life a lot by turning down screen brightness. On my LG G4, I can get by nicely with a setting near 33% or so.

With respect to WiFi and 4G radios, yes, if you have them turned off (ex Airplane mode), you will save battery. Hence when on a plane, if you want to save battery, go to Airplane mode like the flight attendants tell you, or better yet, just power down. Obviously if they are on and active, you consume more battery. One thing you can do is set your apps that periodically sync stuff, like email, news readers and the like to do so less often. Also, not all apps are that important that they need to toss you notifications.

Personally, I notice that if I'm in an area where 4G is intermittent and the phone is dropping to 3G or 1x frequently, the phone heats up and battery rate of consumption increases quite quickly. That IMHO is a heavy hitter to battery drain.

I think there are probably some good articles out there on maximizing battery life.

bearone21
Legend

leaving wi-fi on all the time will be a big draw on the battery.

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

Stef7 thanks could you clarify is 'power off' different then 'stand by'  depleting the battery.

I just use stand by not power off and turn off wi-fi and 4g lte.I see how airplane mode turns off the internet signals but I am still in stand by mode should I power down also to conserve battery or is stand by mode sufficient.

Thanks

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2

To be absolutely honest with you, my Android phone doesn't have a Standby Mode in Settings | Battery. I'd have to Google it to learn more about it to comment intelligently. I suppose you could engage it on your phone and see after going 8hrs or 10hrs how much battery was consumed, and by what program.

I just assumed there was no more battery friendly mode than "Off" (the phone really isn't completely off), when you are on a plane. I realize some people have to work and use their device, or maybe you want to use it for inflight entertainment. But if you are going to relax, read a book or magazine, try to rest, I say, it's best to just shut it down.

vanigo
Contributor - Level 2

It is my understanding that when you press the power button until it vibrates and you get a message to power off or not to power off, that is off with no power.If you do this you will not receive calls they will go directly to voice mail. Which is not the same as  when your phones screen goes dark and you just tap it and it starts.This must be like sleep or hibernate on your computer it goes into low battery mode but is not completely powered down.

Thanks for your response

0 Likes