How to Move Your Contacts from Phone Memory to Google
GeekyGirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I love being part of the Verizon network and generally don't have any issues with my service. But recently, I started having recurring issues with Backup Assistant being able to backup my contacts to the cloud.

I have an HTC One and I love it. I would prefer not to have to reset and reboot multiple times nor do I wish to receive a new phone. Sometimes, getting a new phone is more hassle than it's worth. Not to mention, I like my phone. A LOT.

I went to the Verizon Community and found that I'm not the only one having this issue. Cloud contacts backup failed  I don't know why this issue started happening and from what I've been able to read, it seems that Verizon isn't quite sure either. In some instances, customers have been told to reset and reboot or they've received a whole new phone.

One contributor suggested that instead of using Verizon's backup utility, that you backup your contacts to Google instead... and I thought, " well, DUH... I should be doing that!" If you don't know, when you add a new contact to your address book, you have the option to save to either the Phone or to a Google account. If you save to your phone, then your contacts will be backed up to Verizon's cloud using Backup Assistant. If you save to your Google account, then your contacts will be backed up to your Google (Gmail) account.

If you're anything like me, you have contacts (sometimes even duplicates) saved in both places because you arbitrarily choose between Phone and Google. Most customers generally won't even notice or recognize the difference. Until you have an issue with backuping your contacts, that is.

I like having consistency in how my contacts are managed, so I decided to go ahead and move my existing phone contacts over to Google. This way, my contacts are saved to my Google account, and can easily be viewed and managed from within Gmail.

Moving your phone contacts while on your computer

TechRepublic has a really good post on how to move your phone contacts over to Google Pro tip: Migrate all of your Android contacts to Google - TechRepublic however, what's not specified in their post is that you actually have to login to My Account using your computer and complete the steps. This is further explained in this great post: How to Move Verizon Backup Assistant Contacts to Gmail | Writing Towards Happy.

There's an app for that

However, I wanted a solution that allowed me to move my contacts from the phone over to Google while on my phone, rather than managing my account using my computer. Unfortunately, this solution proved to be a little bit more difficult, so I was more than just a little bit gleeful to find an app in the Google Play market that allowed me to move and manage my phone contacts super easily.

Contacts Optimizer is an app that allows you to use their Accounts Merge feature to move your contacts from your Phone Memory to Google, synchronize them, and then find and delete duplicates. Two extra nice bonuses? A really slick, intuitive design and NO ADS!

Moving your contacts from phone memory to Google

So, say, for example, you have one contact in Phone Memory and want to move it to your Google account, which currently has 299 contacts. Just follow these steps:

1. When you first launch the app, you'll see the intro screen. Just press "Next"

Screenshot_2014-09-28-16-00-39.png

2. The next screen lists all of the accounts that you use on your phone that has contacts associated with it. In this screenshot, you will see that there is one contact under Phone Memory and 299 contacts under Google.

Select the account that you want to optimize, which is Google.

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-15-17.png

3. To transfer the one Phone Memory contact to Google, choose "Toolbox"

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-22-39.png

4. In the Toolbox menu, choose "Account Merging"

Screenshot_2014-09-28-10-57-40.png

5. In the next screen, you will choose the source account (the account from which you want to move your contacts). Select "Phone Memory" and then press Next.

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-27-40.png

6. Now you will choose the target account (the one you want to transfer your contacts to) which would be your Google account. Select Google and then press Next.

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-28-05.png

7. In the next screen, confirm that you want to transfer your contacts from Phone Memory to Google by pressing "Save changes". Voila! You're done!!

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-28-31.png

If you want to confirm that your contacts have been transferred, you can go back to the Home screen, and choose "Select account". If you have moved your all of your contacts from Phone Memory to Google, you will no longer see "Phone Memory" listed in the available accounts and the number of available contacts listed under your Google account should have increased. Referencing the screenshots above, you will see that I moved one contact from my Phone Memory to my Google account. My Google contacts increased from 299 to 300, meaning the transfer was completed successfully.

Screenshot_2014-09-28-17-29-10.png

Labels (1)
Re: How to Move Your Contacts from Phone Memory to Google
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

This is all well and good but on most phones all you need to do is select a few menu items in the phone and your contacts are switched over and syncing.  This way will work but seems to be long and drawn out.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know I can switch all my contacts from one type to another through the People application already installed on the phone by using the import and export options. I have never needed a third party app for that function.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
GeekyGirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the HTC One M8 and yes, you can move your phone contacts to Google within the phone and by not installing any third-party apps. However, on my phone, I do NOT have the import / export option. I can send contacts but that limits me to only 10 at a time or I can go into each contact individually and change how they are categorized. I have over 1500 contacts and this is too laborious. So, rather than spending excessive time doing this manually, I found this app that will automate this process. While there are seven steps to the process, it actually takes a matter of seconds to do.

GeekyGirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ann154... thanks for your comment about the import / export feature. I'm glad you have that capability on your phone.. unfortunately, it's not available on mine. See above. Thanks!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I know on the HTC One (M7) the option is there so they must have removed it from the M8. I also know that on most phones you can set Google once and then anything you add will go to Google but on the HTC One, you need to set it all the time (each time you add a contact).  I can see a third party app being better on the HTC as it can take see effort to do it any other way.,

0 Likes
GeekyGirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Jake, yep they must have removed it. Trust me... I wasn't happy when I saw I would have to manually move them one at a time! The TechRepublic post talks about an import / export feature that does not exist on the M8. The other option was to login to My Account on the computer and move them that way, but I wanted an option on my phone. And I did set my default so that all new contacts would be added to Google rather than Phone Memory!

0 Likes
Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

Can you tell me how you set the Default on that? I am unable to find it on the M7 (and it may not be there)  On my Motorola's it is simple to move them so the third party app makes no sense, but the M7 takes forever and the third party is welcome. If I change the default on it then there should be no need to have to clean it up afterwards, but it is still a good idea on these to have the app that can do it

0 Likes
GeekyGirl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Jake,

If you do the following steps, it should work!

- Go to "People"

- Click on "Phonebook" at the top so that the dropdown opens and shows you what it populating the contacts in your phone.

- Uncheck everything but Google. (That means un-check Sim Card, Phone, Facebook, and even Google+)

Once you do this, when you add new contacts, it should default to Google. The only other option is to "train" yourself to select your Google account rather than phone (under "Contact Type") when adding new contacts.

Jakeman1
Master - Level 1

I looked at this on the M7 and even if I uncheck the others (they are already unchecked) it still defaults to the Phone and not Google. I have tried to show her how to save and select Google each time but she forgets and ends up saving them as Phone.  I will give this other app a shot though. Seems like it will be faster then one by one

0 Likes