How to get FreeBee Bee to show up on a Nexus 6P?
BobOki
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Nexus 6P, which works lovely on Verizon, however I cannot figure out what I need to do to get the FreeBee stuff working. The phone does not come with all the standard Verizon software loaded on it, so I need to know which app from the app store I need to get to get this functionality.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to get FreeBee Bee to show up on Nexus 6P?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

BobOki wrote:

So to confirm, the Free Bee content will show up with a Bee icon on it on any phone, no software is required for this to occur? I understand that the content will not be charged to me, but will the icon show up on any phone without the need of any applications or software installed?

My understanding is the "Bee" shows up based on your connection to the Verizon 4G LTE network; any phone that is using that cellular network to connect will see the Bee.  A phone connected to AT&T phone, or Sprint, will NOT see the "Bee".  It's not the phone or device that controls the "Bee", but your data connection.  So if your Nexus  6P has an active 4G LTE connection on Verizon's network and you luck onto some Free Bee content, you will see the Bee.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

If you want to check out your Verizon account info then you would need the MyVerizon Nexus app.

My Verizon Mobile Nexus - Android Apps on Google Play

If you want Visual Voicemail then you have to use this app...

Verizon Visual Voice Mail - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes
BobOki
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not looking for either of those things. I specifically want to be able to use the FreeBee (FreeBee Data – watch, stream, download free of data charges | Verizon Wireless) functions on my Nexus 6P, but since it does not come with the Verizon default apps on it, I do not know which app I need from the Play store to enable the bees to show on free content.

0 Likes
radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

You're not on prepaid are you?

0 Likes
BobOki
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I am not on prepaid. Standard 12gig plan, it is just that I have a Nexus 6P which does not come with any of the pre-loaded Verizon software or apps. You purchase the phone directly from Google and then just get it connected to Verizon. Everything else seems to work well, this is the first thing that I have come across that does not work.

0 Likes
radgatt
Contributor - Level 2

I know, I had a Nexus 6 I got from Google back in 2014. It may be that since the phone didn't come from Verizon directly they have no way of marking what is FreeBee Data. My suggestion would be to go into a Verizon store and ask a rep there if they can show you on one of the displays the FreeBee Data. Then go to the same site on your 6P to see if it shows up. If it doesn't show up then that will tell you that it's the phone. Although it works just fine on the network since it's not Verizon software and them doing the update then you may not be able to use the FreeBee Data that they are offering.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

BobOki wrote:

I do not know which app I need from the Play store to enable the bees to show on free content.

I don't know that you need an app at all - "The FreeBee "bee" icon will appear next to sponsored content when you're connected to the Verizon 4G/LTE network. The "bee" will not appear when you're on Wi-Fi."

I'm on wifi most of the time - if I come across any content that shows me the "bee" though, I can post it here and then see if you see the "bee" (similar to the suggestion below to go to a Verizon store and try to access the content Veriozn says is free-bee - I don't have any app on my phone that would do this because it[s all sponsored content and the "bee" shows when connected to the Verizon network, it seems.

0 Likes
BobOki
Enthusiast - Level 2

Go for it, I would love to see for sure if it is there or not.. and work my way from there.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

The issue may also be that there is not a lot of "free bee" content yet - it may be very limited in scope and geographic areas, and you may not be in one of the places or looking to view the the type of content that is sponsored..

I also know that video gobbles data, so when I am away from wifi, I avoid linking to any kind of video content, so the odds of my seeing the "bee" are minimal anyway....

0 Likes
BobOki
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, and they have no listing of current offerings on their webpage, as that would be useful 😜

I am assuming that the bee is a software piece that was added to Verizon phones and it will not show up on mine, but would really love to know for sure, and if possible load whatever app makes it work.

0 Likes